Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would judges be better off watching a fight on a monitor backstage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny2x2x View Post
    Not a chance. Ringside is the only place to really judge a fight. You can feel the punches and hear the fighters' reactions. Judges judge a fight using more than their sense of sight, they also hear and feel what is happening. And the judges have more than just ringside seats, they are right near the canvas, they are practically in the ring with the fighters.

What looks like a solid shot on film sometimes isn't that solid if you're ringside and you hear that it mostly was rolled with and there was no impact or reaction.

And that's why body work is perpetually overlooked by fans, when a fighter lands a good body shot there is an unmistakable thud, and many times there's an audible grunt from the fighter getting hit. People at hoome have no idea what's going on with the body work.
    While I agree, having gone to many fights, the audible sound of a good punch is certainly not perceived the same through Television, the judges viewpoint is absolutley horrible. How many times have you seen judges bending sideways to get a better angle because they're blocked off by the backs of fighters or referees. They need a better viewpoint IMO. Maybe perched above the corner posts or something IDK. Just seems archaic that they judge a fight the same way as 30 years ago and we still get MANY questionable scores turned in.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
      Open Scoring is terrible. It would have ruined the incredible fight we had on Saturday.
      I agree. That Canelo-Trout fight took all the drama out and exposed the bias going on and rendered Trout basically unable to win without fighting a totally different fight than he wanted to even though many thought he was right in the fight the whole time.

Comment

people never noticed that all the scorecards have the same writing?
        A lot of "fans" don't know about some very basic things about it.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
          A lot of "fans" don't know about some very basic things about it.
          Now I’m curious though. I wonder if someone has ever altered from the judges score before..

Comment

Now I’m curious though. I wonder if someone has ever altered from the judges score before..
            I can guarantee it has at some point, given the sport's shady history.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
              I can guarantee it has at some point, given the sport's shady history.
              I was thinking that, we love the most corrupt sport in the world.

but I would have thought we would hear about it.

Comment

Theres a well known boxing official from my home town. Hes about 80 years old and was still working recently. He went overseas to do a fight, a fight which 2 judges scored like 10-2 one way while he scored it 10-2 the other way. Afterwards his excuse was he thought the guy losing was the other guys name and incorrectly marked his scorecard as such..

These are the kind of people they use to judge fights. Cant even make that **** up lol..

Comment

Originally posted by AneesMoha View Post
                  I agree with this 100%. Am not sure how sports in the states work when it comes to officials being responsible. But major international sports like Soccer, Rugby, Cricket all have independent wings of the sport's governing bodies who monitor the performance of match officials. I know that in soccer they have a panel of retired refs watch the performace of the officials and they have to sit through a debriefing process where the panel questions the ref.

Would be difficult with boxing since there isnt only one global governing body.

But someone needs to come up with something.
                  That's a little different than saying soccer refs should be in a room somewhere locked away under the stadium and we shouldn't know who they are, lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X