Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are you allowed to hit on top of the head?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are you allowed to hit on top of the head?

I rarely see boxers throwing overhand hooks on top of the cranium, but I have seen this style in several bouts...

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
    I rarely see boxers throwing overhand hooks on top of the cranium, but I have seen this style in several bouts...
    Maidana did it, GGG sometimes too.

Comment

It's not really something fighters are trained to do. That's a hard piece of bone. I don't think it is illegal though, at least not the way it happens from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        It's not really something fighters are trained to do. That's a hard piece of bone. I don't think it is illegal though, at least not the way it happens from time to time.
        Exactly, trying to hit the top of someones head is a good way to injure or break your hand.

Plus knowing that, beside why would a fighter want to target that area. I mean the temple, jaw, nose or the eye area is where you do more damage and you have an easier time getting a knockout.

Comment

Most boxers prefer not breaking their hand.

Comment

Yes you can, but I don't think you want to do that, you can injure your wrist or entire hand. I damaged my wrist when I did it by mistake in sparring, I was only 15 when it happened. After that sparring match, anytime I used it, it hurt like hell to use the right hand for a punch. It wore off after I stopped sparring for a couple of years then came back

I think something similar happened to Mayweather, Paulie and Calzaghe. I think Calzaghe's injury plague specifically was his left wrist. It's no joke. I think the fight where Mayweather first injured his hand for hitting on the top of the head was at 130lbs

Comment

Like people said, it's a hard bone and rarely makes a good target because it's at an uncomfortable angle. But sometimes when the opponents shell up, it's the most obvious place to hit. Rubio vs. Golovkin is a good example of this.

Comment

On the top of the head is legal. But you're taught not to because it's easier to break your hands. Brother Nazzim said watching Margarito hit guys where you're trained not to hit them (top of head, elbows, etc) made him suspicious and paid extra attention to his gloves and hand wrappimg

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                  Maidana did it, GGG sometimes too.
                  Yeah they both did it and with good effect. If I remember correctly, GGG actually knocked Rubio down with one of those punches. Like others have said though, not sure it is the best move considering it makes it easier to injure your hands.

Comment

Working...
                  X