Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble in DAZN land. Canelo is not happy!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It always seemed like a bad idea to base a subscription service around boxing. It's simply impossible to put on enough good fights to satisfy lots of fans paying a monthly fee. People will sub and then cancel, because DAZN will never be able to put on year around good fights. No one can. That is not how boxing works. Its not the UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
      Again you have no clue how many subscribers they had in January and keep ignoring them adding significantly more content which duh drives subscribers. We don't even know if they they didn't hit 1M during the canelo fight. We do know HBO Exec and DAZN CEO weeks apart went on record about the subscribers. In April many fans already signed for Canelo fight which was May 5 so if you wanted to see the canelo fight you needed to sign up for at a monthly subscription anytime from April 5-may 5. HBO executive said they were close to 1M subscribers on 4/28.

Here you go again making shyt up they didn't increase the price they created 2 ways to subscribe that saved me and many others money by creating a incentive to subscribe for 1 year for 8 bucks a month cheaper then 10 bucks a month which it was before. And forced anyone who wanted to just watch canelo and then cancel to pay 20 bucks thats the reason for the price change which didn't effect someone who is still grandfathered in at 10 bucks a month until March 2020 so the change wouldn't effect current subscribers you either save money or stayed the same. If in April they were close to 1M that's with many subscribing early to see canelo. According to HBO Exec and the DAZN CEO you don't need many more subscribers from April to July to get to 1.2M subscribers like Bloomberg says they are today.
      We established, according to DAZN, the Canelo/Fielding brought in hundreds of thousands and almost half of them cancelled after that fight.

Alvarez’s inaugural fight with DAZN in December drove hundreds of thousands of people to sign up for the service, but barely half of them stuck around beyond the one-month free trial to pay the $9.99 monthly rate. More than 90% of customers who cancelled the service said another Alvarez fight is what would get them to pay.
      That was the second most popular fight on the app trailing only Canelo/Jacobs which had around 700k streams in America. So if you had to take a guess what would you say their subscriber numbers were in January?

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        We established, according to DAZN, the Canelo/Fielding brought in hundreds of thousands and almost half of them cancelled after that fight.

That was the second most popular fight on the app trailing only Canelo/Jacobs which had around 700k streams in America. So if you had to take a guess what would you say their subscriber numbers were in January?
        I'll say it again slowly so you can get it. I'm not disputing that fans signed up to see Canelo in Dec and many did not did not stay because from Dec 15 until mid January they had no content to retain them. My point is hundreds of thousands signed up is vague you don't know how many subscribers they had BEFORE Dec when he fought and you don't know how much hundreds of thousands is. is that 300K is 500K is 800K? So you have no clue what their subscription number was in Dec and what it then dropped to in January is my point. So saying it's some big jump how do you jump up from January to April and have almost 1M subscribers like HBO Exec and DAZN CEO said in April is leaving out 2 huge facts.

1. Nobody knows what their subscribers were in Dec or January. So you don't know what they started at.

2. They drastically added content in 2019 that didn't exist in Dec to retain subscribers. Just in boxing alone they now have HALF of today's top 10 P4P list on DAZN and 3 of the top draws in boxing, they added 1 of the top promoters in boxing (Golden Boy) and their stable to go along with Matchroom and signed many other fighters, they have the WBSS, etc and this is just content in boxing they have now that didn't exist in Dec they added content for other sports that you just keep ignoring like they don't add a single subscriber. Boxing is clearly their biggest percent but those other sports add up and have subscribers too. But in boxing alone look at their calender they went weeks in Dec without any fights. Now they have world class fights every weekend with top world champs and P4P ranked fighters. Obviously starting in January they have been building their content and have been adding subscribers and more importantly retaining them. They added a year subscription offer to give incentive to subscribers to not go month to month and commit for the year and save money. Then you had Canelo fans driving subscribers starting in April. Everytime you heard about Canelo/Jacobs they sold it as pay just $99 for Canelo/Jacobs and a year of fights. They obviously did a good job retaining subscribers and building subscribers which is why Bloomberg says they are at 1.2M subscribers today.
        Last edited by bigdunny1; 07-18-2019, 10:05 PM.

Comment

I'll say it again slowly so you can get it. I'm not disputing that fans signed up to see Canelo in Dec and many did not did not stay because from Dec 15 until mid January they had no content to retain them. My point is hundreds of thousands signed up is vague you don't know how many subscribers they had BEFORE Dec when he fought and you don't know how much hundreds of thousands is. is that 300K is 500K is 800K? So you have no clue what their subscription number was in Dec and what it then dropped to in January is my point. So saying it's some big jump how do you jump up from January to April and have almost 1M subscribers like HBO Exec and DAZN CEO said in April is leaving out 2 huge facts.

1. Nobody knows what their subscribers were in Dec or January. So you don't know what they started at.

2. They drastically added content in 2019 that didn't exist in Dec to retain subscribers. Just in boxing alone they now have HALF of today's top 10 P4P list on DAZN and 3 of the top draws in boxing, they added 1 of the top promoters in boxing (Golden Boy) and their stable to go along with Matchroom and signed many other fighters, they have the WBSS, etc and this is just content in boxing they have now that didn't exist in Dec they added content for other sports that you just keep ignoring like they don't add a single subscriber. Boxing is clearly their biggest percent but those other sports add up and have subscribers too. But in boxing alone look at their calender they went weeks in Dec without any fights. Now they have world class fights every weekend with top world champs and P4P ranked fighters. Obviously starting in January they have been building their content and have been adding subscribers and more importantly retaining them. They added a year subscription offer to give incentive to subscribers to not go month to month and commit for the year and save money. Then you had Canelo fans driving subscribers starting in April. Everytime you heard about Canelo/Jacobs they sold it as pay just $99 for Canelo/Jacobs and a year of fights. They obviously did a good job retaining subscribers and building subscribers which is why Bloomberg says they are at 1.2M subscribers today.
          Ok let's try it this way since your brought it up. Give me an approximate number of what you think they had before Canelo. At that point I think they had only showed an AJ fight in the afternoon and some WBSS fights. There wasn't much on there at that point. So a rough estimate from you prior to December.

Comment

Ok let's try it this way since your bright it up. Give me an approximate number of what you think they had before Canelo. At that point I think they had only showed an AJ fight in the afternoon and some WBSS fights. There wasn't much on there at that point. So a rough estimate from you prior to December.
            I have no clue. HBO Exec in April was the first one to put his name on the line and report DAZN subscription numbers before that nobody knew. You had fanboys making up fake numbers. My point is clearly their numbers weren't as bad as you were guessing they were for months. But whatever it was in Dec is less important then what it was in April and what they are at now 1.2M subscribers accoridng to Bloomberg. In Dec they were giving the Canelo fight away for free trial to get the word out about DAZN. Now you have to pay to see canelo and everything else on DAZN and have much more content to retain subscribers.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
              No matter who wanted the Rolls fight be it DAZN or Golovkin. As a vehicle to generate subs in Canada it was a stupid idea. Boxing in Canada is dead. It has been for a long time. Nobody talks about boxing. The local bars which broadcast MMA events dropped boxing years ago. Anybody up here interested in boxing and DAZN has already signed up. Pairing a fighter no one has heard of in Canada nevermind the US was just dumb.
              It’s dead everywhere except Quebec. It’s huge there still. If you go onto the French version of TSN, boxing is the third tab (where NFL is on the English version) and its where any Canadian fighter who wants to get serious about boxing goes and trains.

Comment

I have no clue. HBO Exec in April was the first one to put his name on the line and report DAZN subscription numbers before that nobody knew. You had fanboys making up fake numbers. My point is clearly their numbers weren't as bad as you were guessing they were for months. But whatever it was in Dec is less important then what it was in April and what they are at now 1.2M subscribers accoridng to Bloomberg. In Dec they were giving the Canelo fight away for free trial to get the word out about DAZN. Now you have to pay to see canelo and everything else on DAZN and have much more content to retain subscribers.
                Do you think they had 100k before December?

Comment

Do you think they had 100k before December?
                  Sure maybe but I honestly have no clue what their numbers were before Canelo fought Fielding. I know a ton signed up to see the canelo fight for free on Dec 15 and I believe a lot unsubscribed after the free trial ended. Starting in January is when their content started really improving. For example I signed up for a trial in December. Canceled when 1 month trial ended. Waited until late January to sign up again and have been since. I think a lot of people waited until end of Jan, Feb, March to really jump on board. But the only numbers we know about are from April to now. Close to 1M subscribers with Canelo/Jacobs fight weeks away to 1.2M right now in July.

Comment

Sure maybe but I honestly have no clue what their numbers were before Canelo fought Fielding. I know a ton signed up to see the canelo fight for free on Dec 15 and I believe a lot unsubscribed after the free trial ended. Starting in January is when their content started really improving. For example I signed up for a trial in December. Canceled when 1 month trial ended. Waited until late January to sign up again and have been since. I think a lot of people waited until end of Jan, Feb, March to really jump on board. But the only numbers we know about are from April to now. Close to 1M subscribers with Canelo/Jacobs fight weeks away to 1.2M right now in July.
                    Here they are in March discussing DAZN has less than 500k subs.

So from March to April they added 400k+ subs to get them close to the million you're claiming they were at before Canelo/Jacobs?

Comment

Here they are in March discussing DAZN has less than 500k subs.

So from March to April they added 400k+ subs to get them close to the million you're claiming they were at before Canelo/Jacobs?
                      lol at you quoting people who like you were making up and guessing subscription numbers from DAZN. The only real numbers that anyone credible put their name on was in April. Making up numbers you think they had before then is pointless to me let alone listening to you spin theories based on a starting point of fake news numbers

Fact HBO Exec said they were close to 1M in April, the CEO of DAZN confirmed those numbers saying they were planning on passing 1M subscribers by June. And Bloomberg just reported they are at 1.2M today in July. Those are real numbers that Execs, CEO and Bloomberg put their name and reputation on. Nobody knows what the real numbers were prior to April I don't know how many ways to say it.

Comment

Working...
                      X