Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Down from heavy to supermiddle in five months...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
    Is Subways bad for you? I have one a day, bacon on wheat bread, no filling.

What you guys don't seem to be getting is that I DON'T eat badly. I USED to... in 2005. But now I don't have coke, sweets, nothing. I just eat natural food, and not often. But I'm still a fat ****.
    what you have to do is take it slowly. all those high profile diets are nothing but money makers for companies. from what i know, there are only two ways to lose fat fast and that is liposuction and something known as the velocity diet. the velocity diet is grueling though from what i understand. but for everyone else, you just have to eat below maintenance (around 500 calories below maintenance) and workout at least 5 times a week if you want to lose 2 pounds a week. take things slowly, there is way less pressure and when you do lose the weight, it generally stays off.

get a workout program going, as a matter of fact just go to bodybuilding.com and look up the workout programs those guys use. i would suggest instead of doing those walks that you sign up to a gym so that there is nothing that deters you from the workout like weather.

Comment

Finally worked it out. I knew there had to be an X Factor in all this, because whenever I ask the question I get stuff like "you should cut out chocolate" (I don't eat it anyway), "you should do more exercise" (I do a bit... certainly not so little to justify me being overweight).

I weighed myself over Christmas, and I'd lost 5lbs for no reason at all. The only factor was, at work to keep my breath fresh I use chewing gum. Even though it's sugar free, there's 68g of carbs in it, and I was going through a few packets a day through sheer boredom.

I cut it right down, just one after my dinner, and weighed myself today. My weight had been fluctuating around the 196lbs mark and had gone up to 198lbs... three weeks later and it's down to 188lbs. A loss of 10lbs in three weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER View Post
        If the weather is bad, check out a stationary bike, or recumbent cycle with a separate Polar (cheap) heart rate monitor. Put it in front of your TV, and use it. Dick’s Sporting Goods is a great place to find good deals. You could also do many of the recommended resistance exercises that have been mentioned throughout the forums.
        Back when I was in the Army, I found that ****ty weather was just about the best way to test my discipline and resolve. I used to be stationed in upstate New York (10th Mountain, Ft. Drum). As you can guess, the weather up there can get pretty ****ing brutal in the winter. A lot of people thought I was a bit nutty, but I used to take advantage of every rain, snow and sleet storm to go running (mostly with boots on); many times at two or three in the morning. I obviously couldn't run too fast given the slippery ground, but man did I get a good work out. Most of all, it made me feel like I was some ****ing wild man, like Sly in Rocky IV. It's tough to not make excuses when you're out of shape, but as the adage goes "ever since they invented excuses, we've never run out of them." If some rainy weather is stopping you, there will be many other things that get in your way.

Anyway, I'm going to take my own advice since I could stand to drop 10-15 at the moment. Good luck with your weight loss.

Comment

Cheers for the tips, guys... I mean, I figure that if I confess to being a fat **** on here it will shame me into losing it, right?

Though the funny thing is, no one ever thinks of me as fat - I've got a thing going on with a baggy shirt.
          Take a picture of yourself without a shirt on and put it up on here......that should motivate you just fine.

Also, you gotta upgrade from walking to running. That's where you will really start to shed the pounds man. Make yourself run in the rain man. Right now Chicago has pretty ****ty weather here. There's rain and then snow and its ****ing cold but something about pushing myself to run through these types of conditions create some kind of positive reinforcement for me to continue to do it and I feel awesome afterwards. The hardest thing seriously is the mental attitude that you strive to acquire, to push yourself to get out and run in ****ty weather and to push to run that extra mile or couple of yards or whatever. You start to see results though and thats what makes you continue. Just buck up man and you'll get to 165 no doubt.
          Last edited by Migs; 01-10-2008, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Read two posts up.

Comment

Cheers for the tips, guys... I mean, I figure that if I confess to being a fat **** on here it will shame me into losing it, right?

Though the funny thing is, no one ever thinks of me as fat - I've got a thing going on with a baggy shirt.
              Still dont cover the **** and nips:boobies:
              Last edited by 2swell k-wells; 01-13-2008, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tip

Comment

Anorak:

I went from 205 to 165 in about 8 months. The keys for me were:

1.) Quit sugar. All sugar. Especially soda, bottled juice, and anything with high fructose corn syrup.

2.) Quit eating potatoes and pasta.

3.) Eat all the lean meat you want. Chicken, lean steak, turkey, even pork (trimmed.)

4.) Eat all the fresh (steamed, raw, boiled, grilled, whatever) vegetables and fruit (not canned fruit) you want. When you get hungry, have half a dozen kiwi fruit. After a couple weeks of this, your body will love you for it. You will feel awesome. I promise.

4a.) Soup is your friend. Have a bowl of soup before meals, or in place of a meal. It's cheap, it fills you up, and it's low-calorie.

5.) Drink all the water and black coffee or plain tea you want.

6.) This is gross, but if you've been eating crap for a year, you might want to do a psyllium cleanse. This will help flatten your gut and it will kick-start your metabolism. Search for it on this site and you'll find my thread about it.

7.) No bread after your evening workout; on days you're not working out, no bread at all.

8.) No alcohol after dinner. (I often have a glass of wine with dinner and occasionally a knock of Scotch after work.)

9.) Run. Every day, for an hour. Starting right now. Go run till you can't run, then walk till you can run again.

10.) Some kind of exercise in addition to running. Pickleball, or dodgeball, or weightlifting -- something fun. For me, of course, it was boxing. But just pick anything that makes you sweat that you WANT to go do a few nights a week, then go do it.

That's about it. Give 'em hell.

Comment

Thanks for that, Fraidy Cat.

My problem with weight loss has been two-fold:

1. It does seem as if chewing gum ****ed with my metabolism somehow.

2. Because I eat just about right, I'd weigh the same every morning.. my only problem was the excess I'd built up over a few years of misuse. So I had to cut out a meal in order to lose the build-up. Which is obviously not that healthy.

Anyway, this morning I weighed in at 2lbs above my ideal weight range, which is pleasing. There was a time when I was 42lbs above it... what a fat bastard, how did I let myself go so badly?

Comment

There was a time when I was 42lbs above it... what a fat bastard, how did I let myself go so badly?
                      Because you spend too much time trying to flame everyone in the lounge

Comment

Working...
                      X