No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Rees Aims To Break Odds, Expose Broner's Weaknesses

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Rees Aims To Break Odds, Expose Broner's Weaknesses

By Jake Donovan - There was a point in his career when Gavin Rees was done with boxing. By his own admission, he had already grown discouraged with the sport, failing to secure any meaningful fights at his natural fighting weight of 135 lb. before opting to chase a title one division north.

His July 2007 title win over Souleyman M’Baye went a long way towards satisfying one goal in his career. But it still wasn’t enough to make boxing his everything.

“I won the title and then lost it. I liked the party life. I didn’t like boxing at the time and didn’t train,” Rees (37-1-1, 18KO) recalls of his brief stay as champ before losing the belt to Andriy Kotelnik in March ‘08.

The title loss was reason enough to make a clean break from the sport. Not much was expected of his career, which meant he already surpassed the expectations of most observers.

It was during a year-plus break from the sport when it was realized: he really is a fighter. Like most fighters, the retirement didn’t stick. Rees returned to the ring in August ’09, and just kept winning – or least managed to never again lose.

An 11-fight unbeaten streak – including top honors in the Dec. ’09 Prizefighter tournament – has led to the biggest opportunity of his near 15-year career. Rees makes his stateside debut, arriving to Atlantic City as a massive underdog for his lightweight title challenge against unbeaten Adrien Broner (Saturday, HBO, 10:30PM ET). [Click Here To Read More]

I just hope Rees really tries. I hope he shows people he was better than they thought, but who am I foolin. They'll just say Broner wasn't as good as they thought. lol

Comment

Gavin Rees waaar:

Comment

I'll be shouting like mad for Rees tomorrow night, really hope he pulls this off.

Comment

I'll be hoping for Rees because I can't stand Broner. The man needsto get his own personality.

Comment

He's got a shot to shock the world..hope he makes the most of it. Would love for this to be the underdog story of 2013 would certainly spice things up in boxing if he won but if it goes to the cards I don't see him winning.

Comment

Gavin is getting stopped inside 4 rounds. The weird thing is though he will say things like I was careless and got caught with a good shot early and never recovered but in a rematch I'd have his number blah blah.
              This fight has no credibility, Broner isn't wasting his time with it, he's getting paid but boxing fans are as per usual being ripped off.
              If aliens looked down upon earth and its boxing rankings they would be perplexed. Although if aliens really looked upon earth they would probably have more important things to discuss.
              Hate the sanctioning bodies, hate the promoters, love boxing forever. It's always been about only two people. The fans are just being easily used as fodder to be milked of cash.
              The big problem being the whole "it's **** but its all we've got" attitude that allows boxing to be the joke that it is which only really serves to line the pockets of those who have never stepped in a ring.
              All the idiot fans of so called big name boxers do is keep, not help, but keep the status quo.
              Go Pacman, go Mayweather, go **** yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
                He's got a shot to shock the world..hope he makes the most of it. Would love for this to be the underdog story of 2013 would certainly spice things up in boxing if he won but if it goes to the cards I don't see him winning.
                How is that spicing things up? All that does is set back a key player. Rees should take a knee and bow down to the prince. Lol, jk. Ree's getting paid for this beating.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSS CALIFORNIA View Post
                  I just hope Rees really tries. I hope he shows people he was better than they thought, but who am I foolin. They'll just say Broner wasn't as good as they thought. lol
                  i'm very familiar with Rees. Broner should stop him inside 5, 6 max. if he labours with Gav, it's not a good look, trust me.

i do believe Broner is being overrated in some quarters. doesn't mean he isn't a fast-improving fighter with a lot of potential. some of his followers are getting a little carried away is all. that said, Rees should be relatively easy work for him.

Comment

Good luck to Gavin.

Would be a massive upset.

Comment

Working...
                    X