Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone sparred a pro boxer as an amateur?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

within the last year or so i had the opportunity to spar with a female, Olympic level fighter. she was obviously looking to turn me into a punching bag while I would stick her with the occasional jab/hook to keep her honest.

Anyway, at one point during the sparring, I had my back against the ropes and she was wailing on me. I lifted my arms slightly to give her my body as a target so I could counter over top but she hit me with a left hook directly to the liver. I took a knee. no kidding, she caught me in a place where I had no choice but to go down.

She was a 135lbs. but it was a great shot. Now when I spar with women I have to take them just a tad more seriously because when they spar with men, from my experience, they have something to prove.

anyway, I bring this up because she was recently an Olympian and she is considering going pro right now.

Comment

Sparred my coach who used to be a pro. And one of the guys I trained with I sparred many times and he turned pro pretty quick I dont know if I ever sparred with him while he was actually a pro though

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        you make it sound like it's a cake-walk to spar and be hit with those big gloves with headgear on, man that **** hurts.

an even playing field is when 2 men have similar skill levels. it may seem even to some but if those pros opened up on you, even with those big gloves, chances are great that you would leave the gym with in a confused state of mind with the taste of blood in your mouth.

as a pro I didn't work with amatuers hardly at all...........Rockin'
        Rockin, if you were really a pro I can't believe you are saying this. Anyone knows that 16-18 oz gloves and headgear really make a difference in a sparring match. It's the same reason we see guys like Margarito, Pnce Deleon and others who don't look great in sparring, beat guys in a pro match.

8-10 oz gloves with no head gear is a WHOLE different world. I have sparred some really good amateurs that are really fast, slick fighters that have looked great against me in sparring. In a pro match, they wouldn't last long in my prime.

It's great for a pro to spar amateurs, we have all our pro's spar amateurs in our gym all the time because it gives them great work. Faster, quicker fighters can really be a great way to better your skills in sparring.

Comment

Michael Clark used to train people at my gym and would spar with people but I never got a chance to spar with him. He looked like he would take it easy on the people though and not try to take their head off

Comment

Just recently sparred a pro fighter who's currently ranked pretty high (not gonna say his name), by far the best guy I've been in the ring with. Pretty humbling experience, I think I gave a good showing for myself and he was cool enough to work with me instead of just trying to outclass me (which he could easily have).

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              Rockin, if you were really a pro I can't believe you are saying this. Anyone knows that 16-18 oz gloves and headgear really make a difference in a sparring match. It's the same reason we see guys like Margarito, Pnce Deleon and others who don't look great in sparring, beat guys in a pro match.

8-10 oz gloves with no head gear is a WHOLE different world. I have sparred some really good amateurs that are really fast, slick fighters that have looked great against me in sparring. In a pro match, they wouldn't last long in my prime.

It's great for a pro to spar amateurs, we have all our pro's spar amateurs in our gym all the time because it gives them great work. Faster, quicker fighters can really be a great way to better your skills in sparring.
              Pfft, ain't no Margarito or Ponce De Leon, that be Rockin'

Comment

lol, I never fought pro nor have I ever fought amatuer let alone fighting/sparring in a gym. you got me. lol............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  Back in the 90s when I was in my late teens, I sparred a guy with a good amateur pedigree. He was simply matched too hard, too early as a pro and had stoppage losses to decent European class professionals Spencer Oliver, Johnny Armour and Michael Brodie.

He was absolutely superb compared anything we had seen locally in the gym and toyed with us in sparring!

The average half decent professional really is far superior to most guys on the street in a one on one situation.....
                  yessir.

i got to play outfield for a few years in baseball. for the average guy, i am pretty good. but playing along side pros, especially in the outfield, they made me feel like i was standing still they were so fast compared to what i was used to. at least in baseball nobody is trying to separate you from your senses.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    lol, I never fought pro nor have I ever fought amatuer let alone fighting/sparring in a gym. you got me. lol............Rockin'
                    I just answered your question, if you want to get all defensive over it that's on you. In every gym I have been in (I have been in a lot of pro gyms) we always spar amateur vs pro, because it's good work with 16,18oz gloves.

8,10 oz gloves is a whole different ball game and you should know that. That is why I was surprised that you mentioned that.

Comment

I just answered your question, if you want to get all defensive over it that's on you. In every gym I have been in (I have been in a lot of pro gyms) we always spar amateur vs pro, because it's good work with 16,18oz gloves.

8,10 oz gloves is a whole different ball game and you should know that. That is why I was surprised that you mentioned that.
                      you act like it won't leave you ringing if you are hit by these 18oz gloves, especially when the punches are thrown by one thyat knows how to throw them. point blank, 18 oz gloves will still ring your bell. Agree or disagree? ............Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                      X