Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does it have to be HBO's way or the highway?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact that they won't even budge and be flexible is frustrating.

HBO has worked out deals before to where they'll let one of their guys fight on another network for a 1-fight deal under special circumstances.

They won't even do that much.

And for everyone that advocates this reasoning with "I don't like it, but I understand" train of thought doesn't make it any better.

But you have these weird alliances on boxingscene where guys advocate certain networks and promoters because it goes back to Mayweather-Pacquiao. People need to get over that choosing sides sht and choose the side of seeing the best fight.

We are all boxing fans and need to unify against this sht and start demanding better.

Who wants another 6 years of Mayweather-Pacquiao?

Comment

I think any fighter having an exclusive contract with any network is bad business for that fighter unless you are the cash cow of the sport. If not then I feel you have the potential to lose out on some big paydays and some huge fights being exclusive to a network.

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
        The fact that they won't even budge and be flexible is frustrating.

HBO has worked out deals before to where they'll let one of their guys fight on another network for a 1-fight deal under special circumstances.

They won't even do that much.

And for everyone that advocates this reasoning with "I don't like it, but I understand" train of thought doesn't make it any better.

But you have these weird alliances on boxingscene where guys advocate certain networks and promoters because it goes back to Mayweather-Pacquiao. People need to get over that choosing sides sht and choose the side of seeing the best fight.

We are all boxing fans and need to unify against this sht and start demanding better.

Who wants another 6 years of Mayweather-Pacquiao?
        I think a Kovalev Stevenson fight would have a bigger purse to split if it was not on HBO. I would love to see the networks in a bidding war for this fight.
        I wonder what duva got from HBO to lock Kovalev in exclusively?

Comment

this is all a business, and haymon is too full of himself to take a "cut" he wants to be the shot caller.

Comment

Originally posted by HAY-B View Post
            I think a Kovalev Stevenson fight would have a bigger purse to split if it was not on HBO. I would love to see the networks in a bidding war for this fight.
            I wonder what duva got from HBO to lock Kovalev in exclusively?
            That's a good question.

But between Kov and GGG, if they want the best fights with the most money they better smarten up.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
              because showtime is a vulture who has taken a bunch of hbo fighters after hbo helped develop them. this is why they have exclusive contracts.
              And HBO has done the same: Tim Bradley, Andre Ward, etc.

Comment

"Why does it have to be HBO's way or the highway?"

because HBO are the propaganda masters, have been for decades, and the fans eat it up by the spoonful.

and that's not me knocking HBO. a lot of time, money and effort has gone into building their brand as the voice of boxing. do they use that position of trust to brainwash the fans?

oh hell ya. every day and twice on sunday.

and they'll continue to get away with it until the fans wake up.

but they have the media in their back pocket, so i don't see the "hardcore fans" waking up any time soon.

which is why haymon is going after casual sports fans. the "hardcore" boxing fans are already a lost cause.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                  HBO got the game in the limelight, they were the big gig in town. Some other operation comes into town and tries to take them down.....well, experience allows them to wait out the competition's downfall as they have been there and done that.
                  Yep. HBO is a spiteful crew of elitists, tbh. They don't give the slightest crap about what's good for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Jones View Post
                    And HBO has done the same: Tim Bradley, Andre Ward, etc.
                    andre ward? damn can they get a re-do on that one? send him back! they got a dud!

Comment

It's because boxing fans generally aren't the brightest bunch and they think that because fighter X is currently an HBO fighter, and they are X fans, they they need to be HBO fans and defend HBO by proxy. Sad excuses are made about the past, about who holds more power, etc, etc. If you want to see the best fights then quit accepting this sort of thing. Just because you like a fighter doesn't mean that you have to like his trainer, manager, lifestyle, network, manager, etc. Quit being such fking sheep.

Comment

Working...
                      X