Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headaches after sparring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes! Thats why a novice needs to start off with direction in the session.
    When I trained beginners they did NOT spar for atleast 4 months, they had to have offense & defense working with and against a jab first. Balance and foot work all needed to be sorted out and hours of shadowing in the mirror being corrected then in the ring to get used to being in the ring.
    When I read about kids sparring all these rounds and they've spent 3 weeks in a gym I cringe because they're starting out really poorly in mind & body.
    Teaching boxing skills to prepare someone to spar is a process of addition and theres no one who can grasp all aspects in 4 months!
    Light work yes, but actual sparring when your that green is just developing bad habits at an acceerated pace.
    Not to mention you need to "earn" the chance to get in a ring. Attendance, learning abilities, conditioning progress etc......all goes hand in hand.
    Kids in school gave me their report cards before they were brought home.
    I did things on an honor system, it worked very well for us.
    Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Yes! Thats why a novice needs to start off with direction in the session.
      When I trained beginners they did NOT spar for atleast 4 months, they had to have offense & defense working with and against a jab first. Balance and foot work all needed to be sorted out and hours of shadowing in the mirror being corrected then in the ring to get used to being in the ring.
      When I read about kids sparring all these rounds and they've spent 3 weeks in a gym I cringe because they're starting out really poorly in mind & body.
      Teaching boxing skills to prepare someone to spar is a process of addition and theres no one who can grasp all aspects in 4 months!
      Light work yes, but actual sparring when your that green is just developing bad habits at an acceerated pace.
      Not to mention you need to "earn" the chance to get in a ring. Attendance, learning abilities, conditioning progress etc......all goes hand in hand.
      Kids in school gave me their report cards before they were brought home.
      I did things on an honor system, it worked very well for us.
      Ray.
      Great posts on this thread Ray. There would be a more thriving amateur scene if more gyms would follow these sensible approaches. Too many youngsters are put off too quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
        is dizziness common for beginners?
        Yes, my first sparring sessions I did very well, so I started to be overconfident and thinking I was the king of the gym.
        But I had no skills back in time and was fighting like a Brawler with hands high.
        Sotto Karas is SRL compared to the beginner I was.

Then I sparred with a very strong, experienced and patient guy.
        He was finding the distance with light jabs and counterpunching a lot with a solid right hand.

It was the first time I received a "bad punch", I mean a punch that I didn't see coming. My body wasn't used to get hit like that.
        With 10 oz I woulda been probably dropped bad (we used 16 oz gloves)

It was in the first round, we went for 3 round, and I couldn't remember the 2 following rounds.
        Under the shower I started to have a very bad headhache that lasted maybe 2 days.

Not the best moment I can recall in the gym.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady96 View Post
          Usually last a few hours or till the next morning. Maybe because I sparred 10 rounds for the first time, normally my I do between 4-8. P.s thanks for your concern

a headache that lasts that long is not normal. you should stop sparring and see a doctor.

and as others have echoed, 10 rounds? the f#ck are you sparring 10 rounds for? even 8 rounds is way too much to be doing regularly. way, way too much, considering that you sound like a beginner.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            a headache that lasts that long is not normal. you should stop sparring and see a doctor.

and as others have echoed, 10 rounds? the f#ck are you sparring 10 rounds for? even 8 rounds is way too much to be doing regularly. way, way too much, considering that you sound like a beginner.
            Really? I can get through 8 rounds relatively comfortably without getting really tired. I've been boxing for a year or so and sparring is every Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady96 View Post
              Really? I can get through 8 rounds relatively comfortably without getting really tired. I've been boxing for a year or so and sparring is every Wednesday.
              curious though, whats the intensity of your sparrings?

Comment

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but are you drinking plenty of water and staying hydrated?

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                  curious though, whats the intensity of your sparrings?
                  Medium intensity till the last two rounds where I get my ass whooped by a fresh sparring partner lol

Comment

I appreciate all the responses guys, didn't think these minor headaches would ve such a big deal as they fo away pretty soon.

Comment

If you have fresh partners every few rounds your being used as a mule in the gym. The only other reason is to get you in top shape but getting your butt kicked the last two rds doesn't give me the impression thats whats going on.
                      How many bouts have you had this past year?
                      How old are you?
                      Where do you train?
                      Do you have USA amateur insurance?
                      Is your gym an active member in amateur boxing?

Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X