Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PERSONAL OPINION: Five dramatic moments in prize fight history.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PERSONAL OPINION: Five dramatic moments in prize fight history.

Dempsey out of the ring (Dempsey-Firpo) – 11 knock downs in 4:00 with the Heavyweight Champion being knocked through the ropes and crawling back to win.

Joe Louis fines perfection one last time (Louis-Walcott II, 11th round) – for one moment a faded Joe Louis became everything he had once been; one last flash of brilliance/perfection.

Round one (Hearns-Hagler) – for one round prize fighting became everything, everyone ever wanted it to be.

Round 15 Knockdown (Ali-Frazier I) – if ‘Smokin’ Joe hadn’t knocked Ali down in the 15th, regardless of the judges’ score cards, The Fight would have felt undecided, instead the win was confirmed.

Round 15 Johnson KO Jeffries (Johnson-Jeffries) – prize fighting became a nationwide event, everyone held an opinion. The game was never again the same; culturally the HW Championship became more important than it actually is.

Any other opinions?

Joe Louis rematch with Schmeling.

Tyson upset loss to Douglas

Leonard loss to Duran and Duran's quitting in rematch.

Comment

Gatti vs Ward round 9 first fight, JCC knocking out Meldrick Taylor in the 12th, Roy Jones getting knocked out by Tarver in their rematch, Tyson losing for the first time, and Louis knocking out Schmelling in their rematch.

Comment

Speaking of Louis, how about the 13th round KO he pulled off in his first fight against Billy Conn after being behind on the scorecards?

Comment

I didn't know that Firpo was buried in La Recoleta in Argentina at the time that I visited that cemetery about 5 years ago. Would have taken a picture of the grave.

Comment

Jake LoMotta's knockout of Laurent Dauthuille with 13 seconds left of the fight.

Comment

I'm 32, have been watching Boxing since 1992 so I'll go with the five from MY time as a fan. These are the one's that had me watching with my mouth open.

Holyfield-Tyson I, end of round 10 and start of 11th Holyfield came in as a 26-1 underdog ties Ali for the only man to become a 3 time champion against the man still seen as the baddest most feared man on the planet.

Holyfield-Tyson II - The bite. We knew Tyson was crazy but holy **** that was insane. An iconic moment for all the wrong reasons.

Marquez-Pacquaio IV - A knockout for the ages in a huge fight which ended the best rivalry of it's generation.

Corrales-Castillo I, round 10 - An incredible ending to an incredible fight. What transpired in that round upgraded this from a great fight to a fight on the shortlist of greatest fighters in history.

Gatti-Ward I, round 9 - Proof that you don't need great fighters to make great fights. That 9th round was out of this world. HBO commentary around that time was great too and added to the moment.

I think those are the most iconic moments I've witnessed.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken Dempsey paid for the burial services for
                " The Wild Bull Of The Pampas.

Comment

Tyson 91 second KO of Spinks

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    Joe Louis rematch with Schmeling.

Tyson upset loss to Douglas

Leonard loss to Duran and Duran's quitting in rematch.
                    Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Speaking of Louis, how about the 13th round KO he pulled off in his first fight against Billy Conn after being behind on the scorecards?
                    Originally posted by lightningleeroy View Post
                    Jake LoMotta's knockout of Laurent Dauthuille with 13 seconds left of the fight.
                    i like these also

Comment

Working...
                    X