No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Shawn Porter vs. Danny Garcia - CompuBox Punch Stats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stevenubbs View Post
    I just really can’t stand how porter fights. I had it 6-6/7-5 porter at the end even though I really can’t stand the head butts and the sloppiness. But his physical condition is insane. That dude started the fight and ended it with the same intensity. Now if he could learn to box and not maul... he’d be okay to watch. The headbutts REALLY got to Danny and Danny is extremely easily discouraged during fights. You could see he was having a hard time mentally in the fight. Now let’s see how fast Errol puts porter away and maybe we can see a unification in 2019 with Crawford if Spence stops his quack quack duck talk. I think a Crawford Spence fight is what wet dreams are made of ��
    I was with you till the quack & wet dream talk. Bud signed the new deal which will keep him away from the real competition so it aint Errol's fault.

Comment

Punch stats are misunderstood. If it were all about number of punches landed and/or percentage of landed punches, why have judges? Just have a couple of guys clicking buttons every time a punch scores. But boxing isn’t scored that way. Compubox is an interesting aside at best. It’s practically useless for assessing the winner of a fight. Ever watch a sporting event where the losing team had better stats? That’s exactly what Compubox and similar systems add up to, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        Punch stats are misunderstood. If it were all about number of punches landed and/or percentage of landed punches, why have judges? Just have a couple of guys clicking buttons every time a punch scores. But boxing isn’t scored that way. Compubox is an interesting aside at best. It’s practically useless for assessing the winner of a fight. Ever watch a sporting event where the losing team had better stats? That’s exactly what Compubox and similar systems add up to, nothing more.
        Cuba,
        Thank you!
        STATS ALL....

Comment

I thought he landed more than 180 total punches. I'm always suspect of punch stat numbers. Good to see the busier and more dominant fighter won. I thought for sure Porter was getting hosed on the cards.

Comment

I've always thought this was obvious & these days I mostly see more dorks claiming Punch Stats mean nothing instead of the dorks claiming Punch Stats mean everything. The reality is somewhere in the middle I feel like.

Sure there are sporting events where the better stats are on the losing teams side, but more often then not the better stats are on the winning teams side. Same thing with Punch Stats. People who act like Punch Stats are everything or nothing are both wrong in my estimation.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              I've always thought this was obvious & these days I mostly see more dorks claiming Punch Stats mean nothing instead of the dorks claiming Punch Stats mean everything. The reality is somewhere in the middle I feel like.

Sure there are sporting events where the better stats are on the losing teams side, but more often then not the better stats are on the winning teams side. Same thing with Punch Stats. People who act like Punch Stats are everything or nothing are both wrong in my estimation.
              As far as the outcome of a fight, punch stats mean absolutely nothing. They’re only worth something to the fan interested in statistics. That’s it. The fact that bouts aren’t scored according to punch stats supports my case 100%. The day they change the scoring criteria using pure punch statistics, I’ll gladly admit I’m wrong.

As you yourself admit, there are sporting events where the loser has better stats. Just because it isn’t the norm — and the same can be said in boxing — doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. As far as the fight in question is concerned, I myself don’t give a shit what the punch stats say. Porter won that fight. It’s just another case that demonstrates the value of punch stats: practically nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
                LMMFAO! No he's NOT....LOL....his nonathletic a*s....LMAO
                GGG has had a great career for being so “unathletic” .

I mean while Canelo has been facing the Mathew Hattons of the world.
                GGG has been fighting all the top ten guys. I guess when you’re athletic you display it with great cherry picks and fighting cans.

Comment

As you yourself admit, there are sporting events where the loser has better stats. Just because it isn’t the norm — and the same can be said in boxing — doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.
                  No clue how this = stats mean nothing. Like I said anyone who thinks they mean everything are being as silly as those that say they mean nothing. Clearly there is a narrative of the fight being told in those stats just like the box score for a baseball game tells the story of the game. Just cuz there isn't a checkbox by the name with the sexier stats after each round & a green glow around the guys name who had better stats in more rounds like some simple mfers think there needs to be for stats to have value don't make it so. Thats not what I & others who appreciate punch stats care about.

As far as the fight in question is concerned, I myself don’t give a shit what the punch stats say.
                  Who's asking you to give a sh^t? Thats your thing like my thing is the P4P ATG dorks are ******ed.

But its naive to say stats don't tell the story of the fight. They don't gotta predict the winner or w/e some of you guys think they should. Just cuz Jim Lampley's stupid ass thinks that if boxer A lands 250 punches & boxer B lands 200 punches that boxer A gots the decision on lock means everyone thinks that simplistic. Thats stupid ass Lampley sh^t not something I or others who appreciate punch stats believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    No clue how this = stats mean nothing. Like I said anyone who thinks they mean everything are being as silly as those that say they mean nothing. Clearly there is a narrative of the fight being told in those stats just like the box score for a baseball game tells the story of the game. Just cuz there isn't a checkbox by the name with the sexier stats after each round & a green glow around the guys name who had better stats in more rounds like some simple mfers think there needs to be for stats to have value don't make it so. Thats not what I & others who appreciate punch stats care about.

Who's asking you to give a sh^t? Thats your thing like my thing is the P4P ATG dorks are ******ed.

But its naive to say stats don't tell the story of the fight. They don't gotta predict the winner or w/e some of you guys think they should. Just cuz Jim Lampley's stupid ass thinks that if boxer A lands 250 punches & boxer B lands 200 punches that boxer A gots the decision on lock means everyone thinks that simplistic. Thats stupid ass Lampley sh^t not something I or others who appreciate punch stats believe.
                    Exactly my point: punch stats don’t tell the whole story of a fight. If they did, they’d be used as the sole scoring criteria. The system was tried for a time in Olympic boxing. Now they’re back to using the old ten-point “must” system. As flawed as the traditional judging system is, the idea of scoring based on punches landed failed for a reason.

Comment

Exactly my point: punch stats don’t tell the whole story of a fight. If they did, they’d be used as the sole scoring criteria. The system was tried for a time in Olympic boxing. Now they’re back to using the old ten-point “must” system. As flawed as the traditional judging system is, the idea of scoring based on punches landed failed for a reason.
                      Again you are trying to equate something to punch stats no one is trying to give punch stats the power to do except dummies & Jim Lampley.

Punch Stats tell the story of the fight. They don't tell you who won the fight.

Well they do maybe ~95% of the time if you know what you are looking at/for, but you gotta be looking at the right sh^t too.

Randomly one of the most stupid things ever with punch stat numbers is they virtually never bring up rd by rd punch stats results like they will final numbers. Boxing is scored rd by rd so how do final numbers tell you anything about what the fight looked like as boxing is won & lost? The story is told rd by rd & you'll find the guy who landed more punches & power punches is the guy who'll get the judges decision faaaaaar more often then not.

But again as I see it the story of punch stats as more compelling then what success they may have with picking who the winner is going to be.

Comment

Working...
                      X