No announcement yet.

Newb questions on boxing gloves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb questions on boxing gloves

Hey, first post, I didn't see a gear related section so I'll ask here.

Boxing has recently sparked an interest in me for some reason, so I am looking to get my first pair of gloves. I know it's not good to go cheap, so my budget is around $70 or 80 and I see most gloves around that price are brands like Fairtex, Twins, Fighting, Ringside, or some other lesser known brands like RDX or Revgear, I'm mostly looking on Amazon. I believe all I'm going to be doing is training with hitting the bags at my gym, but who knows I may end up wanting to join somewhere. So in terms of ounces are they interchangeable between 'sparring' and bag training?

Some gloves labeled as "Muay Thai gloves" look like they are still used in the boxing community, and sometimes simply "Sparring gloves" or "Bag gloves". I'm confused on what the difference is, are they built less thick than boxing gloves than what I'm hearing? Are they built differently?

Questions:
    1- What does bag glove weight have to do with sparring/fighting/training? I'm thinking about using 16oz's just to hit the bag at my gym.

2. Difference between "Muay Thai gloves", "sparring gloves", and "training gloves", built different for different uses? What's best for just hitting the bag?

3. Your recommendation for me? I'm interested in the Fairtex's BGV1's as there's a lot who recommend them. I see two different listings on Amazon, only the second one has 'BGV1' in the title, but how the heck do I know if they are truly BVG1's when they don't even say on the glove? Also, I'm questioning authenticity here. Are these faked easily? Twins also has a glove 'BGVL3', if they are they named the same, what does that mean?

Thanks!

thread got pushed to second page for some reason...

Anyone?

Comment

Hey, first post, I didn't see a gear related section so I'll ask here.There is a gear-related section under Training&Nutrition but whatever, you seem genuine

1- What does bag glove weight have to do with sparring/fighting/training? I'm thinking about using 16oz's just to hit the bag at my gym.
      Some people like to use heavier gloves for training than they would for fighting (e.g. 16oz training, whereas fight gloves are 10-12oz) so as to build up arm strength and endurance, etc. Some people prefer to have lighter gloves for bag work so they can concentrate on speed and technique - you can feel that you're hitting the bag right a bit easier if there's not so much padding in the glove. Hell, I've even heard people recommend that gardening gloves are used for bag-work (stupid idea). Obviously, for sparring bigger gloves are used for protective purposes. The norm as far as I have seen is to use 16oz for bag-work/technique/sparring, and leave the fight gloves for fight prep and fighting only.

2. Difference between "Muay Thai gloves", "sparring gloves", and "training gloves", built different for different uses? What's best for just hitting the bag?
      Muay Thai stuff tends to be more brightly coloured, that's about the main difference Thumb position on the glove for muay thai stuff can be a bit more open, if that makes sense, because muay thai involves more grappling (somebody tell klinchko) so the glove allows for gripping the opponent with gloved hands. But generally, not much difference. Look here for a bit more info on that. With regards to the differences between training and sparring gloves, a training glove is typically going to be lower quality than a sparring glove

3. Your recommendation for me? I'm interested in the Fairtex's BGV1's as there's a lot who recommend them. I see two different listings on Amazon, only the second one has 'BGV1' in the title, but how the heck do I know if they are truly BVG1's when they don't even say on the glove? Also, I'm questioning authenticity here. Are these faked easily? Twins also has a glove 'BGVL3', if they are they named the same, what does that mean?
      You won't go wrong with Twins or Fairtex - 2 very good brands... I think they may even be made in the same factory?? Don't quote me on that. Just make sure you buy from a reputable dealer and you won't have to worry about fakes. I personally have recently bought some MTG 16oz gloves for training - a cheaper version of Twins, Fairtex etc. - and I can't fault them. Bottom line is that if you're just starting out, any pair of gloves is better than none
      Last edited by HeadBodyBodyBody; 10-07-2015, 06:14 PM. Reason: no reason

Comment

My Personal Recommendations on Boxing Gloves

Avoid Bag Gloves – I don’t see the point of them. The thin bag gloves offer your hands little protection and just makes you feel good since you’re hands move faster. It’s not good to get use to that speed since you will never fight with gloves that light.

Brands Do Matter – Every brand distributes the weight across the boxing glove differently. Some offer more protection for your fist, others more protection for your wrist. A 14oz glove (RDX Sports, Ringside, Rival) from a good company offers far more padding and protection.

Proper Fit – Make sure your gloves will fit you right WITH HANDWRAPS ON. Put on some hand-wraps and see if the gloves is snug around the wraps. Brands vary in size around your fist. Make sure you are able to make an easy comfortable fist inside your boxing gloves.

Final Advice – Go to a real boxing gym and try on different types of boxing gloves they have. Check out the shape, padding, and comfort. As in my personal suggestion, I would go for RDX boxing gloves. Here is the website link for anyone who wants to check the latest boxing gloves.

Comment

Only one answer in my view and that's the super elusive (no longer?) manufactured Grant Super Bag Gloves. I've had the same pair for years, so many I can no longer remember, and they're as good as the day I got them. I tried Everlast, Rival and others.. Damaged my hands consistently. With the Grant Gloves not one injury ever. And they're great. Expensive (now) but great.

Comment

I like bag gloves on the heavy bag. Like these:

The heavier you go, the less feedback.

Using 16 oz sparring gloves on an already padded heavybag gives you very little punch feedback and is more about cardio.

Basically for bag work: Fight weight or lighter

For sparring: Fight weight or heavier

Don't buy: Actual fight gloves because they're too fancy for bag work and nobody will want to spar with you. Bad for everything.
            Last edited by ////; 06-12-2017, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X