Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing Fans keep underrating boxers and overrating punchers.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing Fans keep underrating boxers and overrating punchers.

I will pick the guy with skills over the power puncher nine times out of ten. I just watched the Plant Uzcategui fight and I can't believe that almost everybody was picking Uzcategui to win. Caleb Plant isn't even that good but anybody who knows the way style matchups work should have seen that "upset" coming a mile away. And don't be surprised if Andrade ends up becoming undisputed MW champ at the end of 2019. Or ya'll can just keep dismissing him cause "he boring doe".

Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
    I will pick the guy with skills over the power puncher nine times out of ten. I just watched the Plant Uzcategui fight and I can't believe that almost everybody was picking Uzcategui to win. Caleb Plant isn't even that good but anybody who knows the way style matchups work should have seen that "upset" coming a mile away. And don't be surprised if Andrade ends up becoming undisputed MW champ at the end of 2019. Or ya'll can just keep dismissing him cause "he boring doe".
    That would imply Canelo would want to fight Andrade and two that Andrade beats him on score cards.

We both know that it ain't happening though. Canelo will never lose on score cards and Andrade ain't knocking him out.

I'm not saying that Andrade isnt good enough but follow the money. No one beating Canelo in 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Socialtwinkie View Post
      That would imply Canelo would want to fight Andrade and two that Andrade beats him on score cards.

We both know that it ain't happening though. Canelo will never lose on score cards and Andrade ain't knocking him out.

I'm not saying that Andrade isnt good enough but follow the money. No one beating Canelo in 2019.
      Canelo isn't ducking anybody. If he beats Jacobs then the logical fight would be Andrade next. And this "Canelo can't lose a decision" is just some GGG fanboy bs. I would wager that Andrade is the favorite to fight Canelo in September assuming that Canelo gets past Jacobs which is of course no guarantee.

Comment

Canelo isn't ducking anybody. If he beats Jacobs then the logical fight would be Andrade next. And this "Canelo can't lose a decision" is just some GGG fanboy bs. I would wager that Andrade is the favorite to fight Canelo in September assuming that Canelo gets past Jacobs which is of course no guarantee.
        Has Canelo ever had a bad score card not in his favor? Nope. Has any close decisions in his entire career not gone his way? Nope.

Will Andrade put on the same kind of clinic as floyd did? Nope.

Here you got yourself a recipe for not winning on score cards. Andrade could outbox him the entire fight and still lose.

Canelo is worth more money than Andrade and we all know money talks. Canelo will be a HUGE A side vs Andrade and nothing will be in Andrade favor including scoring.

Now if it was fair, I think Andrade might do well. But this is boxing. Is boxing fair?

Comment

I was surprised myself I think it’s just white boy hate lol but hey easy points for me

Comment

Thats standard sh^t & to be expected. The KO is impressive & leaves a longer lasting impression with fans thus they see the KO artist as better. You could probably argue its a bit of a mindtrick being played on us. And I think we are all susceptible to it or similar stances in other fields from time to time with a similar angle to a situation.

That said I don't think Jose vs Caleb is a great example of this. Jose has shown some boxing ability himself + can KO guys obviously, but he's also proven himself at a higher level. Caleb has skills, but he's also looked pretty regular & unspecial for a guy at his previous level & he's not got a stellar resume even for a prospect (more than a legit contender) which is what I saw him as still til probably the Porky W. So I can see why people favored Jose without it necessarily being about merely his punching power.

And for full disclose I did pick Jose myself, but I saw it as a 60/40 fight that was winnable for Caleb. By no means do I think a similar matchup as this one was gets the less proven "boxer" who's shown vulnerability vs lesser guys is winning 9 outta 10 times.

In more equally matched fights between these two types I'd agree with you doe more or less.

Comment

I found the overwhelming Uzi supporters to be odd as well.

Because he beat a shop warn Andre Dirrell?

Comment

A good boxer usually beats a good puncher.

Comment

Hindsight is always perfect as far as picking Plant to win. The pro odds makers had Plant the underdog and they handicap fighters for a living. Most really good fighters can box well and punch hard. Pure punchers with no boxing skill seldom are among the best and neither are good boxers who can't punch. Most really outstanding fighters have good boxing skills and good punching power in both hands.There are a few great pure boxers who couldn't punch but they are rare. Big punching power helps a hell of a lot.

Comment

It's not a matter of underrating vs overrating. People watch boxing to watch punchers.

The guys who ride the rules without really hurting their opponent are acknowledged for their skill but understandably met with very little personal enthusiasm.

The current armwrestling champion of the world is this tubby guy who practically lays down on the floor and forces his opponent to waste all their energy holding him up then pins them. It works and he is rated very highly but I'd be surprised if he has a fan that doesn't live in his house.

Comment

Working...
                    X