No announcement yet.

Curtis Stevens showed how Canelo's style can beat GGG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    Stevens did a lot of good things in that fight in between getting the **** beat out of him.

I like how he punched with GGG and countered his combinations, made GG a bit hesitant and maybe stopped him punching with the power he normally does. Also like you say walking Golovkin back taking the initiative.

Golovkin seems to be able to box on the back foot when that is what he has planned to do (ie, Lemiuex) but maybe not when he has planned to attack all night and he gets forced to retreat.

https://dksab.wordpress.com/2017/09/...reakdown-pt-2/

This is my blog on a few ways Canelo can approach the fight/where he can have success if you are interested. I didnt rewatch the Stevens fight until after i had finished but i wish i had. Pt1 of the breakdown is more focussed on how GGG gets to Canelo
    Actually it was Ouma that took Gennady to places he didn't want to be, and you wonder why Abel recently said ''perfect'' boxers of our generation were ''Rigo, Lara, and Ward.''

coincidentally, both Rigo and Lara are southpaws, and Ward just like Jacobs can switch southpaw..

so again, how is it a coincidence that GGG didn't fight Lee, Saunders, Lara, Korobov, or Jacobs (until the WBA forced it)

People like to say ''well GGG beat Korobov in the amateurs'' yet we have to remind heads that the ams aren't the pros.. They'll also the Lee bout was ''cancelled'' because GGG's dad passed away, yet they never talked about redoing that fight, nor did both boxers ever talk about it. When Lee was asked about GGG he never even brought up that the ''initial'' negotiations happened...

Gardner, Ouma... I'm willing to bet, just like all boxers choose carefully, but styles make fights. Ouma came from 154.

As Alvarez is orthodox I guess it doesn't matter, but there are reasons why GGG wasn't fancying southpaws

proksa and fuchigami? cmon.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
      Stevens did a lot of good things in that fight in between getting the **** beat out of him.

I like how he punched with GGG and countered his combinations, made GG a bit hesitant and maybe stopped him punching with the power he normally does. Also like you say walking Golovkin back taking the initiative.

Golovkin seems to be able to box on the back foot when that is what he has planned to do (ie, Lemiuex) but maybe not when he has planned to attack all night and he gets forced to retreat.

This is my blog on a few ways Canelo can approach the fight/where he can have success if you are interested. I didnt rewatch the Stevens fight until after i had finished but i wish i had. Pt1 of the breakdown is more focussed on how GGG gets to Canelo
      Good blog post! Canelo's not known for the lateral movement that Jacobs displayed, but he has the tools to implement a different game plan.

Agree on the Lemiuex fight. GGG did a great job moving in and out keeping him at distance. I can see how GGG was surprised by Stevens' approach initially, and didn't really see GGG make any significant adjustments in that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
        any boxer can get caught. I rate Jacobs a very very good boxer....as far as movement, I'd say he's the Jessie Vargas of 160. When Vargas went with Salas he started looking the way N'Dam started to box with Diaz. That Cuban style. I say though Jacobs is a student of the game and a great Brooklyn boxer.

Only problems is that he got caught with Pirog...I thought the ref stopped immaturely. THOUGH, Mora did take Jacobs...

Point is, at a high caliber level, where a boxer can be close to or even to GGG's weight, the fight then goes 50/50 imo.

I say Nelo has enough fire power to win this fight, and of course I want him to win by KO. Defense is key for both fighters
        I don't rate Jacobs that good. He's a solid B or B- fighter, but he's far from A in my mind. He's been put to sleep and KD by feather fisted Mora for being extremely reckless. His competitiveness with GGG might have more to do with GGG than it does Danny...because the jury still isn't out on GGG in my opinion. Cab Driver extraordinaire for sure, but is he more than that? Maybe we'll find out tomorrow night

Comment

Working...
        X