Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are threads with race fitting in the history section? GOAT w Fighter Since Marciano?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are threads with race fitting in the history section? GOAT w Fighter Since Marciano?

Just from the record one would say Klit. But I am sure as hell not ready to give the galoot that kind of accolades and recognition. He used his size before there were too many big men around. I say there was way too much he did not know and never figured out. In his 73rd fight or so, he was only beginning to explore the novel idea that to win in boxing you have to punch your opponent more than he punches you.

What am I talking about? Duran and Monzon were white. Right? Or do you have to be from where the northern lights are a regular occurrence?

Yes, actually, I think you do have to be. Duran and Monzon are only brown. Same with Chavez and Camacho. I am talking about a Ricky Hatton complexion. THAT is white. Actually, white people are pink.

Golovkin? It is too early to say Loma is. One can speculate he might be in the future.

White boxing sensations are really rare. They have to be manufactured by the promoter.

Who was the last super fast pink boxer before Loma? Anyone?

Hmm, I don't know. Johnny Tapia had a good complexion and was pretty fast too.

Anyone has to admit: Super speed is at least ten times more rare among white and brown boxers than it is among black. Science knows exactly what makes speed.
    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 02-22-2018, 07:43 AM.

Not saying he is but could Andre Ward be considered white?

Comment

Hmmmm.... I’m a little on the fence here. Should this thread be allowed to live or shall it die?

Why is race interesting? It just might spark some not wanted emotions.

Give me some input to what you guys think.

I have a added a poll.

Edit: apparently my mod superpowers does not include the ability to ad a poll.

So I will let the thread be for now.
      Last edited by BattlingNelson; 02-22-2018, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        Hmmmm.... I’m a little on the fence here. Should this thread be allowed to live or shall it die?

Why is race interesting? It just might spark some not wanted emotions.
        YouTube-star Jeff Mayweather the did something similar a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJu1gxvpT6Y

I found their reactions to the question and Mayweather's behavior to be very weird. As a non-American it might be hard to understand why skin color is so important to people, though.

Comment

Canelo is whiter than Hatton. I think for the sake of discussion, fighters are categorized by a combination of race/ethnic background. White, Black, Latino, Asian, etc. So the light skinned Spanish speaking fighters would fall into the Latino category. Mulatto or mixed race fighters like Ward would fall into the Black category.

On that note, greatest white fighters since Marciano might include:

Calzaghe

Haugen--wins over Mancini, Pazienza, Camacho

Loma, GGG, and Gvozdyk would be my choice as modern day active fighters who have the potential to be the greatest since.

Comment

Calazage or however u spell that?

Comment

Dempsey's 'white hope tournament'

Jack Dempsey, 87, is Dead; Boxing Champion of 1920's
              By RED SMITH

'In the early days of Louis' reign as champion, Mr. Dempsey lent his name and restaurant facilities to a ''white hope'' tournament, a term that had survived in boxing long after its racial implications had evaporated. Dropping into Dempsey's, John Lardner, the writer, saw a horde of young males devouring steak and chops.

''Finest bunch of white hopes ever assembled,'' the proprietor said proudly. ''What about him?'' Mr. Lardner asked, indicating a husky young black in the middle of the pack. Mr. Dempsey fetched him a slap on the shoulder.

''You got a good eye for a fighter,'' he said. ''He's the best prospect in the bunch.''

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                Just from the record one would say Klit. But I am sure as hell not ready to give the galoot that kind of accolades and recognition. He used his size before there were too many big men around. I say there was way too much he did not know and never figured out. In his 73rd fight or so, he was only beginning to explore the novel idea that to win in boxing you have to punch your opponent more than he punches you.

What am I talking about? Duran and Monzon were white. Right? Or do you have to be from where the northern lights are a regular occurrence?

Yes, actually, I think you do have to be. Duran and Monzon are only brown. Same with Chavez and Camacho. I am talking about a Ricky Hatton complexion. THAT is white. Actually, white people are pink.

Golovkin? It is too early to say Loma is. One can speculate he might be in the future.

White boxing sensations are really rare. They have to be manufactured by the promoter.

Who was the last super fast pink boxer before Loma? Anyone?

Hmm, I don't know. Johnny Tapia had a good complexion and was pretty fast too.

Anyone has to admit: Super speed is at least ten times more rare among white and brown boxers than it is among black. Science knows exactly what makes speed.
                There's a lot more to race than skin color first off. Second, we don't see that many white fighters any more because white people don't live in poverty at the rate that other minorities do. Not anymore. Back in the early days of boxing all the way up to the 40s things were different because a lot of immigrants and children of immigrants were poor so boxing was a nice alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin';18510330[B
                  ]There's a lot more to race than skin color [/B]first off. Second, we don't see that many white fighters any more because white people don't live in poverty at the rate that other minorities do. Not anymore. Back in the early days of boxing all the way up to the 40s things were different because a lot of immigrants and children of immigrants were poor so boxing was a nice alternative.
                  Lefty and many others are very stubborn on this. You try to explain to them that genetically, there are African subsaharians that have more in common genetically with Scandinavian sailors in Norway, than fellow Africans, but they do not get it.

You also try to explain that what we see in boxing is always because of social factors and has nothing to do with some racial abilities. Africa has the most genetic diversity of any continent which essentially means that one will find the tallest people per capita, the kind that dunk basketballs, BUT also, the SHORTEST people! Pygmies, who would not be a welcome addition to the basketball leagues.

Opportunities and training, cultural values, have made an island like Cuba and a country like mexico a boxing haven, not race.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    Opportunities and training, cultural values, have made an island like Cuba and a country like mexico a boxing haven, not race.
                    Agreed, it's cultural. Otherwise we couldn't explain all those great Irish fighters.

Comment

Working...
                    X