Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe's key to ATG status - Surpass Rocky's 49-0 record!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
    He was actually 48-0

EDIT: I see you already fixed it.

I meant that there were fighters who came close to doing it, 49 straight wins without ever losing.

Thus far only Rocky has managed to do that.
    Yeah, 45-0 didn't add up.

There have been quite a few that have come close, Brian Neilsen actually got it didn't he? 49-0 before losing.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
      If I were Joe, I'd aim for 50-0 myself. For the following reason.

He would best Marciano, something that's never been done. And would take him to the "ATG" list with not a single critic to be heard.

And I'm not really even a fan of his. I just love watching history happen in the ring, and Joe is the only man who's ever been as close as he is to Rocky's record.

Why not leave Rocky where he is? Leave Joe where he is too. I would be happy with that. Joe is an ABSOLUTE ATG. Rocky is a LEGEND.

Comment

Longest winning streak is Jimmy Wilde's 99 wins in a row from what I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
          Agree, it was a blatant robbery.

The only consolation is that in the many years past, everybody knows the truth, and Larry has gotten the respect that eluded him his entire career.
          Yeah, it was a clear victory for Holmes IMO but they didn't give it to him, it's good to see the respect that Holmes wanted in his prime is now being given to him, great fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
            Yeah, 45-0 didn't add up.

There have been quite a few that have come close, Brian Neilsen actually got it didn't he? 49-0 before losing.
            Yes he managed to tie Marciano's record but never surpassed it as he lost his next bout to Dicky Ryan in the 10th round in a fight (that I think) he was winning.

Rocky is the only one who retired with 49 straight wins, no draws, no NC's, no losses in his record.

Comment

Yes he managed to tie Marciano's record but never surpassed it as he lost his next bout to Dicky Ryan in the 10th round in a fight (that I think) he was winning.

Rocky is the only one who retired with 49 straight wins, no draws, no NC's, no losses in his record.
              I didn't see the Ryan fight, in fact I haven't seen much of Nielsen at all.

Definitely have to respect Marciano for doing what he did, 49-0 is not easy to achieve and to retire on top without coming back is even harder.

Comment

Originally posted by billybilo View Post
                Why not leave Rocky where he is? Leave Joe where he is too. I would be happy with that. Joe is an ABSOLUTE ATG. Rocky is a LEGEND.
                Oh Joe can do whatever he wants. I'm not saying he needs to break Rocky's record to get my respect. I'm just being admittedly selfish in saying I would love for it to happen while I'm alive, especially since Joe's so close.

Then as a 70 year old man, many many yeas from now I could be like the old grandpa going "I watched Joe Calzaghe break Rocky's 49-0 record back in my day".

Yeah, it was a clear victory for Holmes IMO but they didn't give it to him, it's good to see the respect that Holmes wanted in his prime is now being given to him, great fighter.
                I got Larry at #3 on the ATG list of Heavyweight Champions. Behind only Louis, and Ali. I hope that doesn't irk Larry, being second to Muhammad even in ATG status on my list.

But Larry was a beast in his prime, definitely a legend, an icon, and a straight up genuine guy.

Comment

Yeah!!! Four more fights, he could try that. Dawson, Johnson, AA, Pavlik. If he can get past all four or even three of the four I'd consider him an ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                    I didn't see the Ryan fight, in fact I haven't seen much of Nielsen at all.

Definitely have to respect Marciano for doing what he did, 49-0 is not easy to achieve and to retire on top without coming back is even harder.

Nielsen winning a split decision against an ancient, 48 year old Holmes.

Comment

Nielsen winning a split decision against an ancient, 48 year old Holmes.
                      Thanks for the vid, always wanted Holmes to win a title again.

Comment

Working...
                      X