Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jose Ramirez Aims To Unify: I Consider Myself The Best at 140

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Jose Ramirez Aims To Unify: I Consider Myself The Best at 140

Later tonight from the Save Mart Arena in Fresno, California, Jose Ramirez makes the first defense of his WBC 140-pound title as he faces Antonio Orozco as the main event on ESPN. He eventually aims to unify the junior welterweight title in the same fashion as Terence Crawford did in 2017 - when 'Bud' united the WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF world titles.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Damn, if only there was a tournament starting soon at 140lbs you could have entered where you would be guaranteed to fight other champions from your weight class (if you win) and get paid a f@@@tonne of money in the process.

We can dream right...

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
      Damn, if only there was a tournament starting soon at 140lbs you could have entered where you would be guaranteed to fight other champions from your weight class (if you win) and get paid a f@@@tonne of money in the process.

We can dream right...
      Exactly. How can Steve Kim come up with this title for this article? Ramirez specifically chose to avoid unification fights by not participating in the WBSS.

Comment

Originally posted by GFunk23 View Post
        Exactly. How can Steve Kim come up with this title for this article? Ramirez specifically chose to avoid unification fights by not participating in the WBSS.
        He can fight the winner of Hooker vs Saucedo. Thats a unification isn't it?

Comment

We can dream right...
          Haha! nice. The WBC seems to be the constant missing piece in the WBSS with the exception of the last cruiserweight tournament. It will be very unlikely that the WBSS consistently crowns a undisputed champion -- in a perfect world thats how boxing should work, but thats not the case.

This years bantamweight tourney will also go without the WBC over politics, and I just remembered SMW WBC champion David Benavidez also declining for the 168 tourney ; however Benavidez is still there for the winner of George Groves vs. Callum Smith.

The article mentions the former undisputed jr. welterweight champion Terence Crawford : Julius Indongo did all the heavy lifting only to deliver those belts at Terence doorstep : Jose Ramirez is in a similar position, when the dust clears, whoever holds the IBF, WBO, WBA wont be much of a draw especially here in America as we only get this via stream -- goodbye WBSS, The winner/champion has to swim on his own now, your promoter has to do something with you...maybe a PPV a Toprank PPV with Jose Ramirez?

Comment

He should have been stripped already for ducking Prograis.

Comment

We can dream right...
              4 real doe! He swerved Prograis to fight who...Danny O' Connor? Shoulda', woulda', coulda', but he didn't!

Comment

Bobfather has a different path for Ramirez than the WBSS.
                (Vs. Lomachenko is about a year or 2 away.)

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
                  4 real doe! He swerved Prograis to fight who...Danny O' Connor? Shoulda', woulda', coulda', but he didn't!
                  Heres a great quote from you back in May :

Originally posted by Bronx2245

However, Ramirez promoter Todd duBoef of Top Rank and Prograis promoter Lou DiBella told ESPN on Thursday that they have agreed to forgo the fight for now with the hope of having it take place perhaps next summer when they believe it can be much bigger commercially.

DiBella and Prograis wanted the Ramirez fight next and could have pushed for a purse bid and forced Top Rank's hand. But Top Rank could also have delayed the bid long enough or delayed scheduling the bout to the point where Prograis would not be able to go into the tournament. In the end, they agreed it made the most business sense to find another plan.

"We know this fight can be built into something," DiBella said. "There's an interest in doing the fight right now and we had backing from Showtime (where Prograis has been fighting). We could have gone to purse bid, and the fight could have been delayed. Ramirez isn't going into the tournament, but Regis wants to be part of it, and he couldn't have both -- the fight right away and then the tournament. So with this scenario, Regis can go into the tournament. The tournament will be over in less than a year.[/B]

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...m-bigger-event

May 25, 2018:

Regis Prograis got the sense as soon as Bob Arum asked him to fight on Jose Ramirez’s undercard this summer that the Hall-of-Fame promoter had no intention of putting Prograis in the ring with the undefeated fighter his company developed into an attraction.

Ramirez had just beaten Amir Imam to win the WBC super lightweight title March 17 when Arum made that promotional pitch to Prograis at ringside in The Theater at Madison Square Garden. Prograis believes that 140-pound championship rightfully belongs to him and [B]he had no interest in delaying the fight against the Ramirez-Imam winner he was promised when he agreed to fight for the WBC’s interim title eight days earlier.

The 29-year-old Prograis doesn’t think Ramirez is scared to fight him, just that Ramirez’s team doesn’t consider it a particularly good idea.

“I suspected he wasn’t gonna fight me anyway, just from the initial conversation I had with Bob Arum,” Prograis told BoxingScene.com. “As soon as he [beat Imam], he said, ‘I want you to fight on his undercard.’ Just from him saying that, I already knew it most likely wasn’t gonna happen. Now he’s gonna fight in his hometown and I’m gonna fight in my hometown, so I guess things worked out how they wanted it to work out.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/regis-pr...ght-me--128475
                  So whats this talk about ducking when both sides agreed to fight down the road? More importantly it was Regis right to force a purse-bid and force the fight, instead he prioritized the WBSS, because it made the most sense.
                  Last edited by 1hourRun; 09-14-2018, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
                    Heres a great quote from you back in May :

So whats this talk about ducking when both sides agreed to fight down the road? More importantly it was Regis right to force a purse-bid and force the fight, instead he prioritized the WBSS, because it made the most sense.
                    Prograis wanted the fight ASAP, Top Rank did not! Prograis entered the tournament. Ramirez did not! Prograis fought Indongo! Ramirez was to fight Danny O' Connor! There was no sense in forcing a purse bid, because Ramirez would've simply walked. Why? Because Imam showed that Ramirez was not ready. His defense was awful! Arum saw it too! That's why Ramirez will sit out of a tournament that includes Prograis, Baranchyk, Relihk, and Josh Taylor! You posted the quotes, but you didn't post what I said. Post that! I'd like to see what I said about it!

Comment

Working...
                    X