Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Songs I'm amazed weren't big hits in the US/songs I'm amazed that WERE...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Songs I'm amazed weren't big hits in the US/songs I'm amazed that WERE...

You know how it is... you hear a tune on the radio that you've known all your life, it was a big hit, and, as it was by a Fat Yankistanian (or someone that sounds Fat Yankistanian) you kind of ASSUME it must have been massive over there, too. Then you find it did about as much Lucas Matthysse on Saturday night in the Billboard charts.

I'll do more when I think of 'em, but let's start us off:

What Do You Want to Make Those Eyes at Me For? - Emile Ford & the Checkmates (1959)

A No.1 hit in the UK, I had no idea until TEN MINUTES AGO that this guy was actually a Green Teef by way of the West Indies. I'd always assumed from his diction and doo-wop sound that he was a Fat Yank, and that this was a well-known classic over there just like it is over here. You might listen to it now and think "that sounds old-fashioned"... it's 1959 FFS, what did you expect, Drake?

Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter - Herman's Hermits (1965)

Younger posters might not know this, but this was a NUMBER ONE in Fat Yankistan. I realise that the 60s had the famous "Green Teef Invasion", but THIS? COME ON!!! They didn't even have the nerve to release this in their home country.... how the Hell was THAT a HIT in the US, let alone topped the charts?!!??

Wash Your Face in My Sink - Dream Warriors (1990)

To be fair, this one wasn't a major hit in the UK hit either, reaching just No.16. But I'd assumed they were Fat Yankistanians, whereas they're actually moose botherers from Cannuckstan. Still, deserved more recognition IMO.

Here's another... did pretty much **** all in the US, where the band hails from (there's even an obvious clue in the band name), yet it was a No.2 hit in the UK:

Comment

Comment

Working...
      X