Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andy Ruiz Tells Anthony Joshua To His Face That He "Quit"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Andy Ruiz Tells Anthony Joshua To His Face That He "Quit"

IBF, IBO, WBA, WBO heavyweight champion Andy Ruiz held nothing back when he came to face to face with Anthony Joshua for a "Gloves Are Off" special on Sky Sports. When they fought back in June, at Madison Square Garden in New York City, Ruiz dropped Joshua four times before the contest was stopped in the seventh round.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Ruiz now has the opportunity to make aj quit again.

Comment

The margins of error are so small in boxing. I can see a lot of people asking the question 'Where does Anthony Joshua go if he loses this fight again?'.

Boxing seems to be the only sport where a loss, in some people's eyes makes you obsolete 'Very strange culture'.

Well Andy Ruiz Junior is not playing the nice guy in this match up anymore, insinuating that a opponent quit is quite a serious accusation.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
        The margins of error are so small in boxing. I can see a lot of people asking the question 'Where does Anthony Joshua go if he loses this fight again?'.

Boxing seems to be the only sport where a loss, in some people's eyes makes you obsolete 'Very strange culture'.

Well Andy Ruiz Junior is not playing the nice guy in this match up anymore, insinuating that a opponent quit is quite a serious accusation.
        Agreed!

It's been debated numerous times on this forum but I don't think he quit. I think it's very likely he wanted to, but at no point did he say he wanted out, or even shake his head. He followed every ref instruction and actually went to walk forward. It was the ref who pushed him back on to the ropes and being as tired as he was, put his arms up onto the ropes to probably take the weight away and/or give the impression he was calm.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post

Its smart though.... Even if he didnt if there is 1% of him that is uncertain about it its enough to come into play under those bright lights!

Comment

Originally posted by KillaMane26 View Post
            Its smart though.... Even if he didnt if there is 1% of him that is uncertain about it its enough to come into play under those bright lights!
            Anthony Joshua since that fight has even had his peers, debating on whether he quit 'Joshua has never really shown how much this has effected him, to be honest? The closer we come to the fight, I can see Joshua uncharacteristically snapping' I would not count this out entirely.

Could Joshua have done more to show to the referee 'I want to continue?' Ether which way it is a very serious accusation a opponent can make.

When Chris Eubank Senior fought Michael Watson in their second fight 'After afew rounds he conceded in his mind? That he could not beat Watson, and made a decision just to survive' I don't think at any point in Joshua vs Ruiz Junior, did Joshua concede defeat 'But he was immensely uncomfortable, because everything he was trying did not work'.

Something was definitely happening inside of Joshua's mind at the time of the stoppage, it may just be his demeanor 'But he took the stoppage far too nonchalantly'

But I am not stating that he quit, I cannot come to that conclusion entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Articulateboxin View Post
              Agreed!

It's been debated numerous times on this forum but I don't think he quit. I think it's very likely he wanted to, but at no point did he say he wanted out, or even shake his head. He followed every ref instruction and actually went to walk forward. It was the ref who pushed him back on to the ropes and being as tired as he was, put his arms up onto the ropes to probably take the weight away and/or give the impression he was calm.
              Yes the referee probably miss-read his nonchalantly behavior as a signal that he did not want to continue. 'There would of been other referee's, that would of let the fight continue' I have noticed the way Joshua always smiles, and looks amused when he is knocked down.

19 Minute 30 second mark and onwards.

Comment

He did so quit & he intentionally spit out his gum shield which equates to quitting. He also held on to the ropes & looked at his corner which also equates to him quitting. Boxing is a brutal sport & theres no shame in quitting to fight another day & some fighters just don't have the heart to stick in there when they are seriously hurt,other fighters won't give up despite being hopelessly beaten. But they all deserve respect if they didn't btch out & run away or hide from tough challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by Articulateboxin View Post
                  Agreed!

I think he as good as quit. He spat out his gum shield, looked fairly unresponsive to the ref etc..

I think he wanted out of there, he just didn’t say “i quit”, more like a relief when the ref waved it off.

So even without saying “i quit” - If you know Inside your own mind that you felt some relief when the ref pulled you out, you must still feel like you kind of quit. But then he did have the fight beaten out of him, so it might be hard not to feel that sense of relief.

Who knows. Only Joshua knows how he feels about it. Does he have the mentality of someone who can check out of a fight easily? - or did he just understand the fight was beaten out of him that night and couldn’t win from that point, so just accept it and go again next time?

I don’t know. I don’t think it’s a good look either way. It looks like he’s only willing to take so much before he wants out.

Comment

If Joshua was looking for any extra motivation, Ruiz just gave it to him. It’s one thing for fans and people in the boxing industry to state what they saw and thought, it’s another thing for the guy your facing in the rematch to say it to your face. Can you imagine if a guy you run across 1 day says right to your face, you quit the last time you fought? Me personally, I want to fight again right there. What do you mean I quit??? Ruiz basically called him a b@tch, straight to his face-LOL!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X