No announcement yet.

So last night's fight broke BoxingScene

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revelated View Post
    Sounds like a decent footprint...for about 10k users.

It makes me wonder if your load balancer simply isn't optimized for traffic routing according to worst-case (basic round robin is only effective if you've got more than two servers doing it).

I'm assuming you have the caching server configured to serve up static information in the event the two nodes don't respond - otherwise why have a caching server, you know? And if that's the config, the site should still respond, even if the forums display a static "Forums are temporarily offline" message as 269 or 503. Usually points to a timeout misconfiguration (if you can't respond to the request in 15 seconds or less, return 503 as ____.htm, for example).

IN my experience, the site doesn't even respond with a code. It just sits spinning. I haven't seen that symptom since I was working for the @Home Network back in the 90's.

Either way it sounds like some backend changes are coming, so as long as AJ/Fury or a Mayweather/Canelo rematch doesn't get booked we should be fine. Heh
    There were over 500k just on the live scorecard alone. The load balancer was what initially tanked and had to be rebuilt, which takes time so we had to adjust on the fly. The backend runs on its space, so there were zero problems on the backend since the load balancer is not attached to it.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
      You have nothing to do with the sites revenue, mind your own business . Isn't it hard enough coming up with lies to post because that acquires additional thinking and that HAS to be taxing for you .
      I'm pretty sure Juggernaut is a transexual.

Comment

Originally posted by i_am_a_champ View Post
        Nicr man sounds like you know your stuff . i did notice some 500 status codes , 503 unavail and 504 gate way timeouts probably due to throttled bandwidth like u mentionef

Is there are article or tutorial u xan point me that sums up all u described? One u recommend
        Not really. Most of what I know comes from tech certification and in-the-trenches experience over the years and I don't think of myself as an expert in network or web hosting by any means. But triage and root cause analysis are specialties of mine because I used to be an auditor.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
          There were over 500k just on the live scorecard alone. The load balancer was what initially tanked and had to be rebuilt, which takes time so we had to adjust on the fly. The backend runs on its space, so there were zero problems on the backend since the load balancer is not attached to it.
          Makes sense - if the bridge is out, it doesn't matter that the factory's running on the other side if you can't get to it. And at a point, too many layers of redundancy gets expensive for an ad-supported site.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Is this site ever going to upgrade so that it can handle the traffic of a big boxing event?

The times when it could be attracting new posters and new eyeballs for ad revenue?
            It rivaled the Floyd/maidana fight, Floyd/Pac fight, and Broner/Maidana fight as far as BoxingScene crashing due to massive site traffic.

As a mod I'll see what I can do about it /find out about it.

Comment

Actually the site never went down during the Canelo-GGG events or Mayweather-McGregor.

We were monitoring the traffic, but there was a massive surge of traffic around the time of the Martin-Washington fight, which overloaded the server.

We are on cloud servers, so there is no need to upgrade when additional resources are added in via cloud. More resources were added to the site and the site stabilized at the end of Wilder-Fury and from that point had no issues.

Having said that, we are moving to Amazon servers in the coming months.
              AWS is a good move.

Sorry guys just catching up.

Thanks for the feedback Revelated.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
                I was really mad I kept getting timeout errors while trying to make fun of Lennox's terrible commenting. I did manage to get this in after about 10 attempts.
                Lennox received the honorary rank of Captain for his commentary... Hence his new moniker: "Captain Obvious."

I have grown to loo for his insight: You see one boxer hit another guy flush in the face and here comes captain Lewis; "Frank really should keep his hands up!"

Comment

I was waiting 5 mins to get in here the site crash now imagine Floyd Mayweather coming back and losing

Comment

Actually the site never went down during the Canelo-GGG events or Mayweather-McGregor.

We were monitoring the traffic, but there was a massive surge of traffic around the time of the Martin-Washington fight, which overloaded the server.

We are on cloud servers, so there is no need to upgrade when additional resources are added in via cloud. More resources were added to the site and the site stabilized at the end of Wilder-Fury and from that point had no issues.

Having said that, we are moving to Amazon servers in the coming months.
                    Big Poppa

I was involved with a smaller site and a partner for a while...I feel your pain lol. I can only imagine handling a site this size. Also you only know there is a problem when you get the traffic, its not easy to anticipate.

Comment

That just tells you how big this damn fight was.

Comment

Working...
                      X