Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do Brits dominate the Heavyweight scene?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do Brits dominate the Heavyweight scene?

Last edited by D4thincarnation; 04-03-2020, 11:20 AM.

Boxing belongs to Britannia!

Comment

Because the big Americans go into other sports.... Brits didn’t get better America athletes went into higher paying easier sports.

Comment

Lol....I can See a baby excuse right above.
        Funny.
        Very funny.
        Last edited by Laligalaliga; 12-09-2019, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentblue View Post
          Because the big Americans go into other sports.... Brits didn’t get better America athletes went into higher paying easier sports.
          /agree

The Brits don't have another sport that draws all the big athletes. An athletically gifted 160 pound Brit probably plays "football" (soccer). A 220 pound Brit is too big and slow for soccer and the Brits don't play American football, baseball, or hockey. So they go into combat sports.

Comment

Originally posted by meat_abstract View Post
            /agree

The Brits don't have another sport that draws all the big athletes. An athletically gifted 160 pound Brit probably plays "football" (soccer). A 220 pound Brit is too big and slow for soccer and the Brits don't play American football, baseball, or hockey. So they go into combat sports.

Ever heard of Rugby?

Ever heard of playing more than one sport?

Comment

No country is dominating the heavyweight scene in this era yet.

Don’t bother mentioning David Haye in the Klitschko era unless you’re going to mention guys like Valuev, Byrd, Ibragimov, Briggs, etc.

Lewis did not dominate the 1990s. No one dominated the 90s, it was incredibly competitive. But if any one country did, it would be the US who had the most champions by far with Holyfield, Tyson, Foreman, Bowe and Moorer. Lewis dominated the early 2000s.

Comment

Boxing is a true global sport however, to dominate it would suggest you guys own the rankings but do you ? AJ is clearly the best imop and Fury should have the WBC strap but the division as a whole is really up for grabs. Hrgovic, Usyk, Wilder , Parker, Ruiz , Pulev Ortiz ,Hunter, Povetkin are 9 names just off hand ,you have numerous guys coming up not from U.K and top U.S talents like Trey Morrison, Sonny Conto ,Darmani Rock ,George Arias just a few to keep U.S boxing prospects interesting.

I think its just the promotion of Hearn that really puts the spot lights on a U.K crowd which is excellent and brought great interest back to fans,its not a U.K or U.S thing real fans know that. Those who root for fighters because of where they are from aren't real fans but then again im old school and have a real likeness to any boxer who is pleasing to the eye. .

Comment

I wouldn’t call it dominating but certainly you are right to suggest the proportion based on size of the country is impressive. This is largely down to the investment around the olympics setup which leaves the country a significant advantage over a lot of countries, including even the biggest such as America.

Not all have come through that system though and for me this come downs to promotion - and match room in particular - being really successful. What matchroom have done is really being an audience from all round the country to watch fights at different levels - to and extent it hasn’t been seen before. Frank warren will never admit it but he has also benefited from the increased popularity his main rival has created.

To realise this you have Joshua, Whyte and Fury at the top end with a number just below such as Chisora, Joyce, Dubois and Fury (Hughie). There are a few others in the mix such as Allen, Price and Gorman who remain figures in boxing despite being apparently ****! Even the likes of Kash Ali, Nick Webb and Tom Little get nights and are considered draws! Tom little for example fought on Joshua undercard

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
                    Ever heard of Rugby?

Ever heard of playing more than one sport?
                    I thought rugby was mostly beer leagues - never heard of a rich or famous rugby player. But I'm not a Brit so feel free to correct me.

Very few elite athletes play more than one sport. Even boxing/MMA crossovers are usually silly circuses, not actual athletic events.

Comment

Working...
                    X