No announcement yet.

Strength training

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ren28 View Post
    I love fighting body builders, they are free wins lol.

Your body weight should suffice honestly. it's okay to mix up with like olympic styled lifts but I always found the mastery of body movement the more preferred route.

You need your body to work as 1 motion, that's why body weight workouts tend to be the best. The more muscles working at the same time, the better your mind/muscle connection will be... and usually performing high reps in a sport like this, is highly recommended. You need to train your body to keep going for as long as possible.

Why running is effective, it targets all your muscles even if you don't notice that "pump" you usually get from lifting weights. Same for swimming.

but in the end, do what works for you. nobody is the same...
    Uphill sprints are really good for that pump.

I do at least 1 day a week where I do a full body lifting routine. 3 rds jump rope, Squat/standing calf raise superset with wide grip pull up, push press super set with widegrip lat pull down, unilateral leg and calf press super set with box and then depth jumps. I'll then run a 6-7 minute mile on the treadmill run the next 3-4 minutes around an 8 minute mile and then hit the bike for a cool down.

I used to do include a superset of hammer curls into overhead tricep press into shoulder press, but was getting too much size on my arms and felt it was impacting my speed/flexibility a bit.

I'm naturally around 160-165. When I'm running 3-4 times a week, going to the boxing gym 3-4 times a week I can go down to about 158 but not low enough to get to 152, so I lift to keep a bit of size. I do all of the exercises with explosive movements for 8-10 reps. I can get not wanting to lift particularly if you are trying to keep your weight low.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
      Uphill sprints are really good for that pump.
      Man those are tough. I feel dead after doing those, every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tariq☆233 View Post
        I run 3 miles at 4am before school
        What’s your age buddy?

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
          What’s your age buddy?
          I'm 15 years

Comment

I'm 15 years
            You will get better and stronger as you get older.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
              You will get better and stronger as you get older.
              Yeah that's a good time to start though. Helps to be lifting/working out during those growth spurts.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
                Yeah that's a good time to start though. Helps to be lifting/working out during those growth spurts.
                Not only that, but he's developing good habits at a young age.

Once you reach a certain age, it's very hard to make a change without having a lot of mental drive and focus. I think that's why a lot of older guys who are out of shape tend to stay that way. They just can't make that big change to their body and routine.

Those healthy habits will be engrained in him and it will he easier for him to maintain good physique and health.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
                  Not only that, but he's developing good habits at a young age.

Once you reach a certain age, it's very hard to make a change without having a lot of mental drive and focus. I think that's why a lot of older guys who are out of shape tend to stay that way. They just can't make that big change to their body and routine.

Those healthy habits will be engrained in him and it will he easier for him to maintain good physique and health.
                  That's also very true. Got to get those healthy habits down.

You also develop muscle memory which will definitely help later in life. Even if I haven't worked out in a while, as soon as I do start to work out its much easier for me to lose weight and build muscle because of muscle memory that I had developed when younger.

Comment

What do you think of pull ups vs a kettlebell full body workout? Example of my kettlebell workout
                    1. Kettlebell upright rows
                    2. Overhead lunges
                    3. Goblet squat superset with plyometric box jumps
                    All done before morning run
                    10x10 rounds of kettlebell swings
                    Would that cover the muscles I need for fighting? I see no point in adding pull ups while I spend a lot of time with my coach later in the day as the kettlebell workout may cover my full body but still looking for advice
                    In general, kettlebell workouts tend to be--or can be--effective for conditioning but are much less effective for strength.

If one wishes to do a workout which is highly-effective at simultaneously improving both strength and endurance, one can train in the manner popularized by Arthur Jones in the 1970s--pick roughly 8-12 exercises which cover all the major muscles of the human body, place them in order from largest to smallest muscles (so, for example, one might begin with a leg press and finish with wrist curls), perform each exercise to momentary failure using a weight permitting 8-12 smooth, slow repetitions, and rest no longer between exercises than is required to move from one piece of equipment to the next.

The "problem" with training this way is simply that it is very, very difficult.

https://www.cbass.com/ArthurJones2.htm

"In 1975, Arthur Jones went to the United States Military Academy at West Point to establish once and for all that Proper Strength Training is, in fact, the best way to build strength—and endurance. What happened there was reported by Captain James A. Peterson, Associate Professor of Physical Education, in a paper titled “Total Conditioning: A Case Study.” (Athletic Journal, Vol. 56 September, 1975)

Here are the key details, taken from Mr. Bannister’s book.

Jones sold a set of Nautilus machines to West Point and persuaded the Academy to study the effects of “a short duration, high intensity strength training program.” The study was called “Project Total Conditioning.” Importantly, Dr. Kenneth Cooper, the father of aerobics, and his team were brought in to measure the cardiovascular fitness of the cadets, before and after the study intervention. Captain Peterson and his staff did the other testing, which included strength, flexibility, and body composition.

Fifty-three cadets (members of the football team) were divided into three groups: a Nautilus-Only group (21), a control group (16), and a neck-only group (16). During both a two-week trial period (to minimize the effect of motor learning) and a six-week study period, the Nautilus-Only group performed one set of 8 to 12 repetitions to muscular failure on ten Nautilus machines three times a week. The control group continued training with the rest of the football team, which was running two miles for time and performing an unsupervised circuit of strength training exercises three times a week. The neck-only group used a prototype neck machine. (I assume that football practice continued for all three groups.)

The Nautilus-Only group was supervised—and how. The training was brutal—cadets were pushed to muscular failure at every station and then rushed to the next station. “For all practical purposes,” Peterson reported, “the intensity of the workouts was so severe that it would have been impossible to appreciably extend them. During the first workouts a few subjects became nauseated, but after several weeks of training, not only had such negative reactions entirely disappeared, but average time to complete a comparable workout had been considerably shortened.”

Colonel Al Rushatz, second in command in the Department of Physical Education, joined in the training and commented after the fact, “I had never worked so hard, nor seen anyone worked to the level the cadets achieved.”

All measurements were taken without knowledge of who was in what group. The results were astounding.

After six weeks of training, the Nautilus-Only group increased the resistance used in their exercises by a minimum of 45% and maximum of 70%--for an average of 58.54%. At the same time the cadets decreased their training time per session by between 4.5 to 9 minutes, with the average workout lasting just short of 30 minutes.

Nautilus-Only group increased flexibility by 11%, compared to 0.85% in the control group.

With regard to body composition, the Nautilus-only group lost more fat than the control group.

Now we come to the pivotal changes in cardiovascular fitness. There were 60 physiological tests in all, and the Nautilus-Only group was superior to the control group in every test. In the three functional tests, the Nautilus-Only group performed in spectacular fashion. On the 2-mile run, Nautilus-Only group improved on average by 88 seconds, compared to 20 seconds for the control group. On the 40-yard dash, Nautilus-Only group improved by almost twice (1.89) as much as the controls. Finally, in the vertical jump, Nautilus-Only group improved more than four times (4.57) more than the control group.

In short, the Nautilus-Only group ran farther and faster and jumped higher than the control group training in traditional fashion.

Unbelievable? Dr. Cooper thought so. When presented with a summary of the results, he called them “impossible” and threw them in the trash can. At that time, of course, Cooper believed that strength training had little or no cardiovascular value.

Captain Peterson, however, backed Jones in his report summary: “The data suggests that some of these cardiovascular benefits apparently cannot be achieved by any other type of training.”

“The study made clear,” Peterson concluded, “that high-intensity (weight) training is the most efficient conditioning method known that simultaneously develops high degrees of aerobic and anaerobic conditioning. It offers increases in size and strength, as well as cardiovascular improvement.”

Bannister adds that the results “stunned the field of exercise but failed to impress those who remained firm in their belief that Arthur was blowing smoke. Apparently he wasn’t.”

See also: http://www.arthurjonesexercise.com/A...exibility1.PDF and

http://www.arthurjonesexercise.com/Athletic/Total.PDF

Comment

Working...
                    X