No announcement yet.

I love boxing but....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love boxing but....

The sport is becoming less interesting especially for the masses. MMA is taking over and pulling consistently bigger numbers than boxing hell we even have a bare knuckle ppv tonight and that will get eyes. The sport needs a massive shot in the arm and there are several ways to do that.

1) extend the rounds to odd numbers only to virtually eliminate draws.

2) the US needs to form a single boxing commission and to create its own champions. This will hopefully starve the alphabet boys.

3) create some incentive for the promoters to press them into having the best fight the best.

Get rid of Al haymon he's the master of duck fights hides his fighters only to fight bums

Comment

Having an odd number of rounds would not eliminate draws. The Us will not form a single commission and nobody will create incentives for promoters to make them have the best fight the best. You mean well but your ideas won't happen. Boxing is doing OK.

Comment

I'd like to see one champion per division. It would help clear things up a lot about who is the best. However, I don't see it happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
          I'd like to see one champion per division. It would help clear things up a lot about who is the best. However, I don't see it happening.
          That's the great thing about the UFC. 1 champion recognized by virtually the entire sport. Boxing needs that. 1 organization above the others that the fans know has the real champion and all the fighters want to be in that promotion because they are the best of the best. If only golden boy or arum could merge and create a mega promotion stable of fighters.

Comment

People may crucify me here - especially some of the old school people who still swear fights should be 15 rounds.

But I think boxing should be lessened significantly - to 8 rounds; or as you say, in order to help eliminate draws, to an odd number of rounds maybe 5 to 7.

Just think how much more exciting those rounds would be?

Right now fights can be so dull because the human body simply isn't designed to expand crazy energy like that for 12 rounds with only a minute rest in between.

So boxers pace themselves. Or they cheat. Oh, and there's also the injuries. Severe injuries don't occur from huge knock out shots, or short, brutal fights over 3-5 rounds; rather, they happen when the boxer absorbs hundreds of shots to the head over long fights.

IDK - I honestly think cutting fights in half to 5 to 7 rounds is what the sport needs.

I just watched a documentary on McClelland, and Benn (this has got to be boxing's dirtiest, best kept secret). McClelland likely had some preexisting injuries going into the fight, but no doubt 12-round fights are one of the number one reasons boxers suffer severe brain trauma/damage.

Comment

By cutting fights to 5-7 rounds, you allow boxers to fully engage, and use all their energy, without fear of gassing.

I'm telling you, it would also help keep people engaged; I've seen so many people simply lose interest in a boxing match after the first 3-5 rounds - these are always newcomers and casual fans, but let's be honest - that's what we NEED if we want to have more investments in boxing, and to help make more fights.

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
                That's the great thing about the UFC. 1 champion recognized by virtually the entire sport. Boxing needs that. 1 organization above the others that the fans know has the real champion and all the fighters want to be in that promotion because they are the best of the best. If only golden boy or arum could merge and create a mega promotion stable of fighters.
                Yeah, I love the UFC set-up.

Comment

It all boils down to the fact that it's too easy for guys to avoid uncomfortable matchups if they make a lot of money. I just wish there was a way to force the promoters of the biggest names to make fights instead of allowing them to gouge the other party into crap deals or else just shrug any threatening matchup off entirely. Business is always going to be a part of sports, but boxing right now is too much of an unfair, predatory "business," one that allows the guys who hit the top level to just kick things into cruise control and take fights at their leisure. The ongoing AJ-Wilder and Canelo-Golovkin 2 ****shows have really got me down on the sport at the moment - those are the two biggest matchups in the game right now, the kind of fights that should happen naturally, and that the sport needs following the retirement and fading-away of the last generation's big names, but as it stands it looks like neither will happen thanks solely to the greed of promoters. That's the fundamental issue with the sport right now, not draw results or any nonsense like that.

Comment

Working...
                  X