No announcement yet.

Ricardo Lopez and Salvador Sanchez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
    What a pity you know nothing about Olivares & his career. It's somewhat important to my contention.
    You are right I don't know much about Olivares but just from looking at boxrec the best wins were Chacon who he was 2-1 against and a 19 year old Ramirez who he knocked out in 2. But he has a looooot of losses many to guys like David Kotey. I don't see how he could be considered better then Chavez Barrera or Sanchez
    Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 03-28-2011, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
      You are right I don't know much about Olivares but just from looking at boxrec the best wins were Chacon who he was 2-1 against and a 19 year old Ramirez who he knocked out in 2. But he has a looooot of losses many to guys like David Kotey. I don't see how he could be considered better then Chavez Barrera or Sanchez
      Of course you don't see. How could you? By your own admission, you are dismissing a fighter you don't have the knowledge of to do so.

Unlike you, I am well-versed in the careers of both Chavez and Olivares. I guess it just does not occur to you to learn a thing or two beyond BoxRec before accusing people of being anti-this or biased that.

I guess Freddie Roach is also anti-Chavez. He, too, picked Olivares as Mexico's greatest.

Comment

Olivares was an excellent fighter, but I dont know if I would put him above Chavez. his wins over Burruni, Kanzawa, Sakurai, Rose, Rudkin, Castillox2, Pimentel, Chaconx2, and Hafey were all very impressive, but he didnt have the longevity of Chavez nor fought as much top competition.

I do find it pretty interesting he beat a very young Ramirez however. funny how things play out.

um...anyways, as for the title...Sanchez really had one of the most incredible short years of a title reign I think Ive ever seen. in his two years of being champ he has 4 victories over HOF fighters...ridiculous! and on top of that he had wins over Castillo, LaPorte and Castanon which were pretty damn good as well. I think he would have burnt out fast and a Nelson rematch would have been pretty tough for him imo, but I definitely wish we could have seen his career play out. very interesting style, outstanding late round fighter and a smart, deceiving counter punching too.

I havent got the chance to study Lopez's career too much, but Ill get around to it some day.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
          Of course you don't see. How could you? By your own admission, you are dismissing a fighter you don't have the knowledge of to do so.

Unlike you, I am well-versed in the careers of both Chavez and Olivares. I guess it just does not occur to you to learn a thing or two beyond BoxRec before accusing people of being anti-this or biased that.

I guess Freddie Roach is also anti-Chavez. He, too, picked Olivares as Mexico's greatest.

I don't think you have to be that well versed to know that a guy getting knocked out by C class fighters like Art Hafey and Jose Cervantes in his 20s isn't as good as Julio Cesar Chavez

Comment

I don't think you have to be that well versed to know that a guy getting knocked out by C class fighters like Art Hafey and Jose Cervantes in his 20s isn't as good as Julio Cesar Chavez
            to be fair, Olivares was not in his prime in those fights despite his age. certain fighters become shot quicker than others...most notably Wilfred Benitez and Pipino Cuevas. it happens when you start fighting high level competition very early in your career, and Olivares' style was one that took punishment. it adds up quickly.

I think Chavez fairly clearly had the better career as well, but Olivares had an excellent one with plenty of wins over high level competition.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
              to be fair, Olivares was not in his prime in those fights despite his age. certain fighters become shot quicker than others...most notably Wilfred Benitez and Pipino Cuevas. it happens when you start fighting high level competition very early in your career, and Olivares' style was one that took punishment. it adds up quickly.

I think Chavez fairly clearly had the better career as well, but Olivares had an excellent one with plenty of wins over high level competition.

How was he not in his prime? He got knocked out by Art Hafey in 73 and Cervantes in 76. Arguable his two best wins came when he knocked Chacon in 75 and Ramirez in 78

Comment

Lopez is quite possibly the most disciplined fighter that ever lived, enjoy watching his fights.

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
                I havent got the chance to study Lopez's career too much, but Ill get around to it some day.
                his career set is available here: http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...=ricardo+lopez

not all in the best quality but its all his title fights .

Comment

How was he not in his prime? He got knocked out by Art Hafey in 73 and Cervantes in 76. Arguable his two best wins came when he knocked Chacon in 75 and Ramirez in 78
                  best wins does not = your prime automatically. Ramirez was way too young and inexperienced, it wasnt a very good win.

I thought Olivares was prime around the time he beat Lionel Rose in '69, maybe a little later on. The Castillo fights probably took a lot out of him.

losses arent that big a deal to me, as long as you beat high level competition. and Olivares did that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli02 View Post
                    Lopez is quite possibly the most disciplined fighter that ever lived, enjoy watching his fights.

his career set is available here: http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...=ricardo+lopez

not all in the best quality but its all his title fights .
                    thank you. Ive watched some of his matches on youtube and he is pretty impressive.

the problem I have is that I dont know anything about his competition...and if I dont know about his competition, imo I cant accurately judge the fighter. my knowledge fails me when it comes to the lower weight classes. Ill take the time to learn about it some day.

Comment

& that is why I will reserve myself on this topic to someone who is well-versed.

At this point, the following parting question seems fair --- have you even seen Olivares fight?

Comment

Working...
                      X