No announcement yet.

give Joe smith some credit, not a one punch lucky KO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• give Joe smith some credit, not a one punch lucky KO

Smith has extremely wide shoulders and is a deceptive opponent for anyone. I think his reach throws a lot of people off, opponents think they are out of range and then he comes down with a right hand. Did you guys not notice the punishing blows smith was landing throughout???

I think fans get tunnel vision when certain fighters fight. Not sure how anyone had hopkins ahead at the time of the KO. Smith was out landing, the aggressor, and landed some nasty power shots that had Bhop looking different.

Can someone shed some light on why Hopkins camp thought it would be best to fight a 28 year old coming off a KO off a top 5 light heavyweight?

Someone in his camp needs to be fired, this was not an ideal opponent for a 51 year old.

I dont think anyone is calling him lucky. What I see people saying is that he obviously beat someone who was a grandpa and coming off a huge layoff.

Hopkins fought who he fought because that is who Hopkins is. What satisfaction do you get by retiring after beating a TBA? He wanted to go out with a satisfactory win and it backfired. So what? He tried.

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
      Smith has extremely wide shoulders and is a deceptive opponent for anyone. I think his reach throws a lot of people off, opponents think they are out of range and then he comes down with a right hand. Did you guys not notice the punishing blows smith was landing throughout???

I think fans get tunnel vision when certain fighters fight. Not sure how anyone had hopkins ahead at the time of the KO. Smith was out landing, the aggressor, and landed some nasty power shots that had Bhop looking different.

Can someone shed some light on why Hopkins camp thought it would be best to fight a 28 year old coming off a KO off a top 5 light heavyweight?

Someone in his camp needs to be fired, this was not an ideal opponent for a 51 year old.
      Nobody needs to be fired. Hopkins wasn't trying to beat a bum to go out. He wanted to face a legitimate threat. He gave back to the sport by giving that young man a shot. And Smith took advantage of it.

I remember Brother Nasim saying something a while ago about young fighters fighting older fighters. He said if you're the real deal you're supposed to end these older guys. He said when guys like Tyson & Bowe were coming up fighting these older guys they'd send them to go work in their uncle mechanic shop That's what Joshua has been doing and needs to do to Klitschko
      . That's what Spence has been doing to these old guys. That's what Canelo was supposed to do to Cotto. That's what he should do to GGG. If you're a young bull you need to get these old guys outta here.

Comment

I dont see anyone not giving him credit to be honest..He had a damn good year

Comment

They probably thought he was very one dimensional and slow, but coming off the Fonfara win, I would've definitely picked an easier opponent- preferably one with little power since we are talking about a 52-year-old fighting. You don't put a man that old in with a puncher. It was dumb all the way around and when you make dumb decisions in this sport, it hurts. I bet Hokins' head like crazy the next day.

Comment

Pound for pound numero uno

Comment

he didn't get lucky, and he did earn it, but he did hit the jackpot. if that makes sense.

he landed hopkins when he was in his 50's! fighters have been "getting old overnight" for as long as they've been getting old. hopkins had nothing left and smith landed the fight. then he went out and did his job.
              Last edited by New England; 12-20-2016, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Bernard picked this kid because he has a good "numbers" record. Just beat a decent fighter in a big way, has the right complexion
                and is a one dimensional talent.

Bernard forgot that once you get hit hard a few times your legs go away quickly! He didn't spar hard for this fight, he wasn't active for two years and the legs NEVER come back once they go away!
                Now Bernard go away!
                Be lucky you didn't get seriously hurt from the fall or from this kid landing clean while your stuck on the ropes!

I'm surprised his trainer didn't try to talk him out of this BS because you don't "play boxing"!

Joe Smith was the one in a crappy position!!!
                You win...you beat an old man.
                You loose..........an old man beat you!!!! Hope he made a few bucks and he doesn't quit his construction job.
                Better to be in an established union then a business where your a meal ticket or in time just a meal!

Ray

Comment

Because Hopkins believed that Joe Smith Jr really wasn't all that good, his old man style/boxing smarts would put the fight in molasses (where Hopkins wants it, as it's been years since he could really move on anyone), and he'd old man his way though the fight to an ugly win (that HBO would've hyped as the type of performance to go out on).

Hopkins wanted a shot at a 168lb belt (that didn't happen, as he wasn't going to fight James Degale or Badou Jack, and I doubt he was willing to travel abroad for the fight), and ended up trying to pick off a light heavyweight fighter with a beat of attention behind him.

Comment

Working...
                  X