No announcement yet.

Is Don Curry an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Don Curry an ATG?

I made a thread here a little while ago and asked who was the best welterweight since leonard/hearns and alot of you guys said don curry, i was suprised to see that, so my question is just how good was the guy?

Not atg... Didn't have the longevity, or a bunch of classic great wins like Sanchez or leonard had in a short amount of time..

But I def think he is a hall of famer.. The guy was probably the best welter of the 80s not named Hearns or leonard.. He cleaned out the division in the mid 80s..

At welter he was on the same level as Oscar, tito, shane, forrest..

I think he is much better than any of the current crop of welters..

Not an ATG, but a hall of famer in my eyes

Comment

Very talented all the tools. I felt he burned out early after so many amateur fights. I think he had over 400.

He was good not an all time great though. Not enough good wins in my opinion though you have to rate his wins against McCrory and Starling up there.

I think it was a case of his faults later in his career reflect on his prime.

Almost like Michael Spinks great light heavyweight reign and him defeating Holmes is tarnished because he lost to Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        Not atg... Didn't have the longevity, or a bunch of classic great wins like Sanchez or leonard had in a short amount of time..

But I def think he is a hall of famer.. The guy was probably the best welter of the 80s not named Hearns or leonard.. He cleaned out the division in the mid 80s..

You think he could clean out current welter?

Comment

Donald Curry was an incredible welterweight. He cleaned out the division He was having difficulty making weight. Don's dream was to move up & challenge Marvin Hagler for the middleweight crown. At the time Saccharin Ray Leonard , I refuse to call him Sugar was officially retired & acting as Don's advisor. Leonard talked Don out of the Hagler fight telling him to wait. But unknown to everyone Leonard was negociating to come back & fight Hagler himself in effect he stabbed Don in the back. Don seemed to change from that day was not the same fighter..after. As we know Leonard went on & was given a gift victory over Hagler . This caused Hagler to retire in disgust. Would Don have beaten Hagler had he got the chance??? Who knows but he would have given a better performance than Leonard did
          Yes The Lone Star Cobra is an ATG & Yes he would beat any WW today when in his prime

Comment

Originally posted by The Viper View Post
            You think he could clean out current welter?
            For sure...

Thurman
            Brook
            Bradley
            Porter
            Even aging manny

The present day welters would get beat by Donald curry..

Curry was very skilled and had a good pop on his punches.. I think he is just a higher caliber fighter

Comment

Originally posted by CJRock View Post
              Donald Curry was an incredible welterweight. He cleaned out the division He was having difficulty making weight. Don's dream was to move up & challenge Marvin Hagler for the middleweight crown. At the time Saccharin Ray Leonard , I refuse to call him Sugar was officially retired & acting as Don's advisor. Leonard talked Don out of the Hagler fight telling him to wait. But unknown to everyone Leonard was negociating to come back & fight Hagler himself in effect he stabbed Don in the back. Don seemed to change from that day was not the same fighter..after. As we know Leonard went on & was given a gift victory over Hagler . This caused Hagler to retire in disgust. Would Don have beaten Hagler had he got the chance??? Who knows but he would have given a better performance than Leonard did
              Yes The Lone Star Cobra is an ATG & Yes he would beat any WW today when in his prime
              wow! I never knew that, thanks for that story, i'm sure if he had beat hagler that would of put him over the top.......

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
                Very talented all the tools. I felt he burned out early after so many amateur fights. I think he had over 400.

He was good not an all time great though. Not enough good wins in my opinion though you have to rate his wins against McCrory and Starling up there.

I think it was a case of his faults later in his career reflect on his prime.

Almost like Michael Spinks great light heavyweight reign and him defeating Holmes is tarnished because he lost to Tyson.
                I get what u are saying but Spinks is an ATG amd HOFer period. Probably the greatest lightweight of the greatest lightweight era. Curry isn't either tbh. Borderline HOF at most.

Comment

I would say no. He didn't have enough good wins or stay at the top long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post

No he wasn't.

There's a reason Oscar and Tito were already considered great fighters by the time they finished their welterweight careers and Curry wasn't.

Don gets a lot of hype on here from guys who probably grew up at the time watching him on their American TV networks and he was hyped up to be the next Leonard. He was far from any such thing. Yes he beat some good fighters but who are the great names on his resume? Or even truly, top level elite names? Starling? Who else? He lost to everyone else, including Honeyghan, a decent fighter at best.

Curry is far from a welterweight ATG and didn't do anything at the higher weights.

Comment

Working...
                    X