Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angelo Dundee on the Ali vs Frazier III, "Cut em off" myth.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angelo Dundee on the Ali vs Frazier III, "Cut em off" myth.

James Slater: You must have seen all the recent books and documentaries about “The Thrilla in Manila,” with fans still loving that sensational action fight. What do you say to those people who believe Ali would not have been able to come out for that 15th-round against Joe Frazier. Did Ali in fact say to you at the end of the 14th, “cut ’em off?”

Angelo Dundee: No, that’s not true. People get confused, and they’re getting confused with the Liston fight. My guy told me, “cut the gloves off, I wanna prove there’s dirty work afoot!” I said, no gloves, no fight! But in Manila, no. Ali had such a great 14th-round, why on earth would I stop the fight in the 15th? I’ve seen those documentaries, and I see faces on there of people, who weren’t even there at the fight! George Kimball, a good friend of mine, he’s going to write a piece on the fight, with all the people and writers and everything, who were there. I look forward to that article.

This entire myth started with Hauser's comments on the incredibly bias HBO documentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Stones! View Post
      This entire myth started with Hauser's comments on the incredibly bias HBO documentary.
      How was it incredibly biased? Ali had a chance to take part and he declined. Ali isn't a hero, I hope you know that?

Comment

Originally posted by -LightsOut- View Post
        How was it incredibly biased? Ali had a chance to take part and he declined. Ali isn't a hero, I hope you know that?
        It was very bias. You must not have seen it, and if you did you are a certified Ali hater, because that was as one-sided a documentary I've seen.

The entire point of the documentary was to retell Frazier's side of the story, which means it was heavily bias.

You are a fool.

Ali was and still is a hero to millions, I hope you know that?

Comment

Ali couldn't partake because of Parkinsons

I too question whether Ali really was going to quit. We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Stones! View Post
            It was very bias. You must not have seen it, and if you did you are a certified Ali hater, because that was as one-sided a documentary I've seen.

The entire point of the documentary was to retell Frazier's side of the story, which means it was heavily bias.

You are a fool.

Ali was and still is a hero to millions, I hope you know that?
            Evidently, you've not watched When We Were Kings. Not so much history, as it is his-story.

Comment

do you guys really think either Ali or Frazier Would quit.. both have shown such tremendous heart before, so I really don't see it.. that stupid documentary is mostly bias anyway, even if it provides nice footage.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
                Evidently, you've not watched When We Were Kings. Not so much history, as it is his-story.
                I did not claim When We Were Kings didn't contain bias - this thread is regarding the HBO documentary, which to anyone who isn't a fool, was incredibly bias.

Last edited by JAB5239; 02-08-2011, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Does Baised mean it is not what you wanted to hear?

Comment

Originally posted by MartinX View Post
                    Does Baised mean it is not what you wanted to hear?
                    The point of this thread was to address the lie propagated by HBO, that Ali had the intention to quit after the 14th round.

I'd take Angelo Dundee's word over something that was said in a documentary which, from the outset, even claimed they will "tell Frazier's side of the story", which is basically admitting the show was going to be slanted in favour of one fighter. There's no problem with that, because there have been several bias Ali documentaries, but what I don't like is extreme bias pushing over into presenting fallacies as truths. That is not acceptable.

Comment

Working...
                    X