No announcement yet.

Riddick Bowe vs Lennox Lewis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riddick Bowe vs Lennox Lewis

For years I believed in the narrative of the Bowe vs Lewis Olympics fight. Lewis KOed Bowe. Whooped his ass. That's why a rematch was not necessary when they became pros.

I decided to rewatch the match and I was shocked. Not only did Lewis not KO Bowe, he got whooped by Bowe. Bowe was whoopin on Lewis before the Ref, who was bought and paid for, decided to stop the fight after Lewis got 2 clean shots. It was clear that the Communist ref had it in for the American athlete. Remember this was the same olympics where the Roy Jones was robbed by Communist judges.

Look at the video, Bowe was pounding on Lewis in the 1st round. The ref did not give Lewis any standing 8 counts. Watching this fight shows that Bowe would have demolished Lewis in 1992 if they fought. Bowe's skillset and tenacity in the ring was more advanced than Lewis. In his prime, Bowe is better than peak fighter except Ali and Liston.

Then why did Bowe duck him in the pros.He threw a belt in the garbage rather than fighting Lewis.That was an obvious duck Lewis should have been on his radar much like Tillman was on Tyson’s reader after he eliminated him in the Olympic trials.Bowes only got the 3holyfield fights nobody else.I would have loved to see Bowe vs Lewis or Ruddock or Mercer Tyson bruno ect..Lewis would have controled the fight with his jab and big right hand.Bowe would have been a sitting duck.Look what happened to Ruddock when he tasted that right hand.

Comment

- -Video unavailable, same as Big Dummy.

What grade U in?

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
        - -Video unavailable, same as Big Dummy.

What grade U in?
        https://youtu.be/K39AbwNl3QU

Comment

It was a BS stoppage... although Bowe not “whooping” Lewis by any stretch.

I think it would’ve been a great 50/50 matchup in the pros but unfortunately Rock Newman majorly dropped the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Longhaul View Post
            Then why did Bowe duck him in the pros.He threw a belt in the garbage rather than fighting Lewis.That was an obvious duck Lewis should have been on his radar much like Tillman was on Tyson’s reader after he eliminated him in the Olympic trials.Bowes only got the 3holyfield fights nobody else.I would have loved to see Bowe vs Lewis or Ruddock or Mercer Tyson bruno ect..Lewis would have controled the fight with his jab and big right hand.Bowe would have been a sitting duck.Look what happened to Ruddock when he tasted that right hand.
            Sitting duck? Nah... That would’ve been a highly competitive matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Longhaul View Post
              I agree.

Lewis' jab was all wrong for Bowe.

Lewis did have the problem, though, of getting bullied. Mercer and Holyfield didn't have Bowe's size or offense, but made things miserable for Lewis by applying pressure.

On paper I like Lewis by a lot. But I know things could go differently when the rubber hits the road.

Comment

Great to hear Marv Albert doing boxing, one of my favourites.
                Stoppage looked early to me but Bowe was clearly getting hurt.

I think that Bowe seemed to adjust to the pros a bit quicker than Lennox so the earlier the fight took place the more I like his chances.

Throwing the belt hurts him badly though. You can't do that.

Comment

I always felt that if Bowe just believed in himself then he could have beaten Lennox. Turn it into a war and the fight is 60/40 in his favour. Failure to force a war, though, means getting outboxed and pulverized. He figured Lennox improved too much and that the being outboxed scenario was more likely.

Comment

Bowe might have beaten Lewis but we will never know. All we have to go on is how they both did against Holyfield.

Comment

Working...
                    X