Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend me a book...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloods by Wallace Terry. Great book about the plight of black soldiers in Vietnam.

Comment

• These are nonfiction; but very, very interesting and will get you thinking.

The 12th Planet.....by Zacheria Sitchin......this is actually the first of what became a seven-book series, called "The Earth Chronicles". It is an unconventional look at our ancient origins through the translation of Sumerian tablets by Sitchin

God is Red...by Vine Deloria Jr....a Native American take on religion which really does a good job at illustrating how origins of different religions are geographical in nature and why its difficult for people from one location to grasp a religion from another. Its really informative on how "we" think and why.

The Jesus Papers.....by Baigent.....he was the co-author of "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", which examined Mary Magdeline's role long before Dan Grown did a fictitious take. This book goes further in tracing down who Jesus really was and manuscripts which offer a contradictory picture to the gospels, as well as secrets being kept by "the church", potentially. Its a pretty good read.

....that's all for now.

Comment

• Okay, today's recommendations are fiction:

1. "The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien....If you have not read this yet.....WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?! LOL!!! Naw, jes kiddin'. I didn't read it myself until after I'd seen the first movie. It is far better than the Peter Jackson series, though, he does do the books justice. Tolkein truly did start the modern fantasy genre in many ways. Just about every story which followed this book has elements of it.....and most assuredly the old RPG's and I'd venture to say, World of Warcraft even. If you like sci-fi/fantasy, you owe it to yourself to read it.......or all three, if you choose to read them separately. It is a long work.

2. "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski.....This book is a mind-job unlike any I've ever picked up before. You essentially have three stories going on in one, with one or more of the "authors" loosing their sanity while they tell the story. I will warn you, it is dark and it will test the limits of your own sanity. The primary premise is about an old country house in the middle of nowhere, which has a door which leads to a "closet", which defies the laws of physics, as it, technically, should be protruding from the outside of the house....and the inside, gradually grows bigger. It only gets weirder from there.

3. "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee......This is an old standby and you might have even been assigned it in school; but it's one of my favorites, so I thought I'd give it a mention. If you are unfamiliar with it, it's set in the segregated south and involved the trial of a man for a crime which he did not commit. It's almost like a 1960's version of Tom Sawyer, had he been a girl and faced the challenges of that era in a small southern town. Excellent, excellent read.

Comment

• The Dark Tower

Comment

• Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind

Comment

Working...
            X