Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Wlad choose Calvin Brock over Shannon Briggs when Briggs held a title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Wlad choose Calvin Brock over Shannon Briggs when Briggs held a title?

Briggs said they turned him down and chose Brock

https://www.facebook.com/terrell.bro...3837950509479/

There was an old article kicking about where Emmanuel Steward was quoted as saying Briggs was too dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
      There was an old article kicking about where Emmanuel Steward was quoted as saying Briggs was too dangerous.
      http://www.boxnews.com.ua/en/news/28...ost-Dangerous-

Legendary trainer Emanuel Steward says the most dangerous challenger his fighter, IBF Heavyweight Champion Wladimir Klitschko, could choose for his November 11 title defense is the one his HBO counterpart Larry Merchant has claimed he would least like to see.

“The only guy I told Wlad I didn’t want to fight was Shannon Briggs. Shannon is a fighter with very fast hands who can match Wladimir for size and not be out-muscled. He’s also a tight puncher. I wasn’t worried that much when Wlad fought Sam Peter. He clubs, so you can get away from his punches easier, plus he doesn’t put them together as fast and accurately. Shannon Briggs is the guy I dread the most in the entire division.”

According to Steward, who has known Klitschko since his Olympic days, it’s a matter of styles that makes Briggs such a high-risk choice. “He’s the most dangerous challenger in the division because of his size and speed. He may get tired later in a fight, but if you don’t make it through the first three or four rounds, who gives a damn? When Wlad was fighting Corrie Sanders, I was watching it on TV and I was always concerned because he’s the same type of guy. Kamikaze. He’ll let it all hang out and if you’re not prepared for it…And Corrie Sanders is nowhere near as big and fast as Briggs is. (New WBC King Oleg) Maskaev was a fight everybody was trying to make, but the more dangerous fight is still with Shannon Briggs. He’s a sturdier fighter. If it does take place, it’ll be a much bigger, more dangerous fight for Wlad than Maskaev.”

Comment

because wlad is a garbage fighter. briggs who was 10 years past his best was too dangerous? thats when you know you have a soft fighter that has to be handled with kid gloves. steward developed an entire cheating style just to keep this big oaf upright.

Comment

Vlad was still in a place where he was gaining confidence and learning his eventual style. Briggs was too dangerous for that vlad.

Comment

damn wlad's been ducking the champ for a decade

letsgo champ

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
              because wlad is a garbage fighter. briggs who was 10 years past his best was too dangerous? thats when you know you have a soft fighter that has to be handled with kid gloves. steward developed an entire cheating style just to keep this big oaf upright.
              That isn't Wlad though thats Steward saying Briggs has (had) a bad style for Wlad... I don't think Steward was a garbage trainer for doing a trainer's standard job

Comment

Briggs didn't have a title until a week before Wlad fought Calvin Brock. Briggs lost that title in his first defense. Wlad fought that guy.

Same reason Lennox Lewis chose to fight Rahman in April 2001 when Wlad held a title and had called him out after the Jefferson fight in March of that year.

They both had fights scheduled and by the time those fights could've been made, Briggs and Wlad had lost their titles.

Comment

Briggs ain't **** man. He's dangerous for 2 rounds then gasses out. At this point Wlad fighting Briggs would only help Briggs out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruisin' View Post
                    That isn't Wlad though thats Steward saying Briggs has (had) a bad style for Wlad... I don't think Steward was a garbage trainer for doing a trainer's standard job
                    it shouldn't be a trainers job to teach a fighter to cheat. yes he was able to get away with it because of the corrupt nature of boxing where a-sides are allowed to break rules but that doesn't mean its right.

Comment

Working...
                    X