Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do guys like GGG and Julian Jackson use subtly different technique to get power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    what do you mean by impulse? explain and clarify
    By the "first impulse" I mean the power of the beginning of the move

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
      Everything is dependent on positioning. The same punches at different ranges require different technique to maximize your leverage.

Not sure who told you to dip your rear knee for a right cross. The power comes through the legs, leg should be reaching straight when a right cross lands.

The timing of power delivery can be seen in these examples.

here you can see that Duran is reaching maximum effort pushing off with his leg just as the punch connect, and is reaching maximum torque with his midsection.

Another good example.

Rocky Marciano, rear leg reaching maximum extension just after impact.

Ray Robinson with a right uppercut. Same thing, Leg reaching maximum extension right at the point of impact.

Contrast that with Floyd Mayweather, and you can see why he didn't hit as hard as he could have.

Floyd has already reached maximum extension with his leg before the point of impact, and as a result his rear leg is unable to contribute to the power of the punch when it lands.
      Good post. As with other sports power is developed through pivoting the hips with excellent balance, foot position and timing. Arm punchers will never produce enough torque to develop knock out power.

Comment

Originally posted by Shpacman View Post
        By the "first impulse" I mean the power of the beginning of the move
        impulse is a very specific word what do you mean by it?

Ok you use the hips at the start, why do you impulse them? Why not use them for a longer period of time so they build up more speed and power?

Impulse implies a short duration, you can only use them so long the movement happens quite fast, but not as fast as an impulse, that to me says you dont get full range of motion
        Last edited by AlexKid; 09-20-2016, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
          impulse is a very specific word what do you mean by it?

Ok you use the hips at the start, why do you impulse them? Why not use them for a longer period of time so they build up more speed and power?

Impulse implies a short duration, you can only use them so long the movement happens quite fast, but not as fast as an impulse, that to me says you dont get full range of motion
          I mean that with the right technique the power of the punch is increased with the amplitude. With the right technique you accelerate your hand during the punch. With the wrong technique you waste yor energy to continue your move, so you don't accelerate your hand, you waste energy only to maintain speed. I don't know how to explain it properly. In order to see what I say look at the straight punches ov Kovalev and Alvarez in slow motion and then compare 5them to Bradley's straight punch, you will see the difference.

Comment

Working...
          X