No announcement yet.

Stadium view of WARD vs, KOV 8TH round.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jay543 View Post
    The punches were low and the stoppage ruined the fight.

Even if you ignore the low blows, if there had been no stoppage and Ward was allowed 2 more punches to put Kovalev down we wouldn't be having this discussion.

If Kovalev made it out of the round due to recovery time or just by sleep walking to the bell, and then Ward got a few more punches and put Kovalev out in the next round we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Regardless of whether the blows were low or not (they were low) the stoppage robbed Ward of his career defining KO and it robbed boxing fans of a really classic fight.

The fight was great, but with such a **** ending it went from great fight to controversy.

Yep. If the stoppage came ten seconds later after a Ward bomb to the head nobody would even be talking right now, besides a few salty Kovalev fans complaining about poor reffing.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
      I've no real problem with Ward getting the win, man, I think Kovalev was on his way out. It still doesn't make it a good stoppage.

But my point in this thread was entirely what I posted no more no less. The particular footage the TS posted actually made me feel more not less inclined to sympathise with Kovalev than the original HBO footage. No agenda there just my gut reaction. You can get so caught up in trying to prove a point that sometimes you can misconstrue it when someone just posts some random meaningless ****.
      Hey the last shot before the stoppage was low I agree. I have two eyes lol.

My problem is that it seems whenever Kovalev was hurt to the body in the 8th round instead of taking a knee and getting a count, he'd a feign a low blow in hopes the referee would call time and give him a breather. Thats just weak. He did it in the GIF I posted and even though the ref didnt jump in, Ward stopped punching so he got a breather anyway. Then he did it again in the final sequence. I dont know why he chose to do that. But it cost him the fight.

Comment

Even more ridiculous to claim those were 3 consecutive low blows ala Golota with that angle.

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
        The issue is that Kovalev doubled over from a LEGAL 1-2 to the beltline earlier in that same round. Kovalev was looking for the ref to bail him out from legal body work.

Here's that clip from OP's video. Some dude earlier was claiming there was another punch right before those two that was low that caused Kovalev to complain. It wasn't as clear in the HBO broadcast, but it's obvious here that it wasn't low. In fact, it hit Kovalev's elbow.

Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 06-19-2017, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
          Even more ridiculous to claim those were 3 low consecutive low blows ala Golota with that angle.

Here's that clip from OP's video. Some dude earlier was claiming there was another punch right before those two that was low that caused Kovalev to complain. It wasn't as clear in the HBO broadcast, but it's obvious here that it wasn't low. In fact, it hit Kovalev's elbow.

via GIPHY

Kovalev's elbow....

Comment

Even more ridiculous to claim those were 3 consecutive low blows ala Golota with that angle.

I think from Weeks's perspective, Kovalev doubled over once already in the 8th round from legal bodywork and then did it again in the final sequence. While the final shot was low, the previous two appeared borderline, and this was the second time in the round Kovalev was doubled over and not protecting himself. Weeks then made the decision to stop the fight. It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
              Kovalev's elbow....

It hits his elbow. It doesn't even hit Kovalev. Watch it at .25 speed on youtube, and it's immediately obvious that the punch doens't even land on Kovalev body at all. It whizzes right by. You could even see the the punch move Kovelev's elbow.

I suspected that from the HBO broadcast, and it's even more clear at this angle.
              Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 06-19-2017, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Interesting angle. Sure looks like Kovalev quit like I've been saying

Comment

I'm a Kovalev fan. Don't care much for Ward. But the truth is Kovalev was complaining about everything. He was gassed from legit body work. Stunned by a clean right hand and Ward proceeded to pound the body and Kovalev simply couldn't take it. Ward took his heart. The last punch of the fight that went low did not decide the outcome. Ward won fair and square.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
                    Kovalev's elbow....

via GIPHY

At most it grazes Kovalev after hitting his elbow. And it grazed on the legal belt line.
                    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 06-19-2017, 08:40 PM.

Comment

It grazes the tip of the elbow and then goes on to hit the top of the HUBLOT logo...

Here is a clear body shot:

Comment

Working...
                      X