How do you score a round?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
    I consider the following attributes in order of importance:

1. clean hard punches - who landed the cleaner harder punches? Who landed more punches?

2. effective aggression i.e. coming forward, pressing the fight, landing scoring punches

3. ring generalship - who's dictating the tempo, who's moving around the ring effectively

Here are my scoring guidelines:

I try not to score even rounds

If fighter A knocks fighter B down then I automatically score the round 10-8. Fighter B will have to have dominated the round before/after the knockdown to make it a 10-9 in fighter A's favor.

I don't generally score 10-8 rounds if fighter is not knocked down. The only exception are if I fighter is staggering around the ring for prolonged period or if the fighter is 'out on his feet.' All too often, people try to score 10-8 rounds without a knockdown.
    A quick bible on scoring boxing rounds, for those who are still somehow challenged by it.

Comment

Originally posted by VapeRippa
      Quote:

Originally Posted by BostonGuy

I consider the following attributes in order of importance:

1. clean hard punches - who landed the cleaner harder punches? Who landed more punches?

2. effective aggression i.e. coming forward, pressing the fight, landing scoring punches

3. ring generalship - who's dictating the tempo, who's moving around the ring effectively

Here are my scoring guidelines:

I try not to score even rounds

If fighter A knocks fighter B down then I automatically score the round 10-8. Fighter B will have to have dominated the round before/after the knockdown to make it a 10-9 in fighter A's favor.

I don't generally score 10-8 rounds if fighter is not knocked down. The only exception are if I fighter is staggering around the ring for prolonged period or if the fighter is 'out on his feet.' All too often, people try to score 10-8 rounds without a knockdown.

A quick bible on scoring boxing rounds, for those who are still somehow challenged by it.
      What if a fighter lands the cleaner shots but he's not the aggressor? what if a boxer is pressing the action but he's getting tagged a lot? These are some of the gray areas that need to be the same across the board.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Whoever throws the most punches. It doesn't matter if they are landing or not as a thousand punches are a thousand punches!

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
          What if a fighter lands the cleaner shots but he's not the aggressor? what if a boxer is pressing the action but he's getting tagged a lot? These are some of the gray areas that need to be the same across the board.

For my scoring criteria, I place more importance on the harder/cleaner shots landed (#1 criterion) than effective aggression (#2 criterion). Further to that, you have to say "who landed the cleaner harder punches?" If the answer is "well both guys landed about the same", you go on and determine who was the aggressor..

Comment

Originally posted by VapeRippa View Post
            Who would you rather be in a feeling out round with almost no punches thrown? BAM!
            you know its not against the rules to score even rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post

That why I said, a combination between clean,effective punching and ring generalship.

If he lands the cleaner shots on the counter punching end while he was not the aggresor, what does it mean? That the boxer utilizing movement to set up those cleaner blows made the opponent fight his fight, by chasing him while being set up for the perfect shot.

If the aggressor is being tagged up repeteadly he has to match IMO his opponent's output or at least cut off the ring and unleash to hurt him so he can let the judges know even tho he got tagged he was the boss.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy
                Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeVen0m

For my scoring criteria, I place more importance on the harder/cleaner shots landed (#1 criterion) than effective aggression (#2 criterion). Further to that, you have to say "who landed the cleaner harder punches?" If the answer is "well both guys landed about the same", you go on and determine who was the aggressor..
                Great point, I wish it were this way worldwide. An international scoring system so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                  Great point, thats one of my criterias for determining a really close round.

Comment

Originally posted by VapeRippa View Post
                    A combination between clean, effective punching and ring generalship(who's forcing the action, controlling the pace, make the opponent fight his fight,etc).

Just my 2 cents.

pretty much this.

Comment

Who would be against live crowd/fan scoring? Do you think promoters or fighters will go for or against it? What problems would it bring up?

Comment

Working...
                      X