Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ike Williams vs Pernel Whitaker @ 135?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ike Williams vs Pernel Whitaker @ 135?

who would win this one? This fight would be interesting to see.

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post

Ike had a cannon of a right hand, and if he could catch Pea clean he could put him to sleep. However I think that's where Ike would run into trouble. I think ultimately Pernell is way too slick for Ike.

Ike had enough technical ability not to look foolish against Pea, I just don't think Ike would be able to do much damage. Plus Pea had underrated punching power, enough to keep someone honest when they got in his range.

Pea by very decisive UD.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
      Ike had a cannon of a right hand, and if he could catch Pea clean he could put him to sleep. However I think that's where Ike would run into trouble. I think ultimately Pernell is way too slick for Ike.

Ike had enough technical ability not to look foolish against Pea, I just don't think Ike would be able to do much damage. Plus Pea had underrated punching power, enough to keep someone honest when they got in his range.

Pea by very decisive UD.
      i agree. it would be a good fight, but sweat pea would take it.

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
        I go with the destroyer IKE WILLIAMS, a tougher guy in vastly stronger era, Ike has twice the power, equal speed, and huge combination puncher, his blowout of BEAU JACK stands in my mind the greatest single combination that I ever saw, I gave up counting at around 30 something consecutive punches, most of them all power, one of most chilling things I've seen in the sport, PEA was brilliant but Williams a bridge too far.

Comment

Hard to tell. I think Ike could def stop Pernell, he was one of the hardest punchers ever at 135. But with Sweet Pea's ring generalship and defense, it would be very hard to land the right punch. Either Williams by KO or Pernell by UD.

Comment

williams was carved out of stone but whitaker was no cupcake himself

he might not have punched like a badass, but he had a tremendous chin, fighting and dealing with larger men and bigger punchers than williams

most notably de la hoya and trinidad, and to a lesser degree julio cesar vasquez, who had winky wright on queer street and was a natural jr MW

he was only stopped once and that was on a broken collarbone. remarkable, considering he spent so much of the later part of his career fighting bigger men.

while i think there might be some drama, i don't think williams could simply blow the doors off of whitaker with power

i think he weathers something early and slides his way around to a comfy decision in a very nice looking style matchup

and this is prime for prime in prime shape and mental condition

UD whitaker
            maybe 12 rounds to 3 with williams knocking whitaker down once early, perhaps even hurting him

Comment

I'd be rooting hard for Ike.

Comment

Working...
              X