Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were Patterson and Ingo the worst heavyweight champs ever ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were Patterson and Ingo the worst heavyweight champs ever ?

Of all the heavyweight champs they impress me the very least. The glass chinned brawler and the stick and move boxer with a 72 inch reach, neither of them seem like they would have been champions in another era.

Charles Martin comes in mind actually.....

Comment

Leo spinks and buster douglas were worse imo

Comment

Floyd Patterson was a light heavyweight who was the heavyweight champion of the world. People call him a glass jaw for getting knocked down by guys who outweighed him by 25+ pounds. Well majority of the time he got back up and won the damn fight.

Comment

Bruh Charles Martin and Stiverne...

Comment

The heavyweight champions between Tunney and Louis were all pretty poor. I reckon the only one you can make a case for being better than Ingo/Floyd is Schmeling. Same for the post M.Spinks - Pre Tyson era. That was also poor. Then of course we have a sjitload of alphabet champions that I wouldn't even bother to recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey19 View Post
              Of all the heavyweight champs they impress me the very least. The glass chinned brawler and the stick and move boxer with a 72 inch reach, neither of them seem like they would have been champions in another era.
              You don't think Patterson could have been champ in the 1890s?

I would certainly pick him to beat Corbett - and the version of Sullivan he defeated.

And in the 1900s I think he would be too good for both Hart and Burns.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
                Floyd Patterson was a light heavyweight who was the heavyweight champion of the world. People call him a glass jaw for getting knocked down by guys who outweighed him by 25+ pounds. Well majority of the time he got back up and won the damn fight.
                Superbly stated.

I'll add that his style also provided for him to get hit.

I know I am a broken record on the level of Auntie T, but Patterson was the the Ford Falcon and Tyson was the Ford Mustang.

Cus learned a lot at Floyd's expense.

Give him weight training, improved diet, and steroids, and you have something much closer to Tyson. Maybe not with the nastiness, but certainly with more brains and heart.

The fact that Patterson was constantly getting back to his feet should tell you something.

Maybe he was the great Cruiserweight Champion there never was. P4P he's a great fighter. Highly skilled, and technically proficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                  Superbly stated.

I'll add that his style also provided for him to get hit.

I know I am a broken record on the level of Auntie T, but Patterson was the the Ford Falcon and Tyson was the Ford Mustang.

Cus learned a lot at Floyd's expense.

Give him weight training, improved diet, and steroids, and you have something much closer to Tyson. Maybe not with the nastiness, but certainly with more brains and heart.

The fact that Patterson was constantly getting back to his feet should tell you something.

Maybe he was the great Cruiserweight Champion there never was. P4P he's a great fighter. Highly skilled, and technically proficient.
                  Floyd could never have the nastiness because he was too much of a pure gentlemen through and through. Mike, unfortunately was just a boy and a product of his surroundings once Cus passed. Floyd did have more heart and technical skill than Mike though. Who knows what could have been.

Comment

Patterson was a great fighter and despite being a light heavyweight in an era with big heavyweights was an excellent heavyweight champ too. I don’t think he was ever counted out so clearly he had a ton of heart and recovery powers.

I’m convinced had Patterson stayed at 175 he’d have been a top 5 all-time there and probably been a champion for a long time. As it was he accomplished a lot as heavyweight even after the Liston fights. He had some quality wins like Chuvalo, Bonavena, Cooper, Machen and got robbed against Quarry and Ellis.

Comment

Working...
                    X