Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GGG vs Canelo. What's a fair split between them and realistic ppv numbers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
    There are plenty of times when a proven top calibre fighter has had to take low money to get his career to the next level. If you take Mayweather as an example, he was the B-side against Gatti, and than took a a low split against Oscar. Why? First of all even though Floyd was the number 1 fighter p4p in the world, Oscar was still the biggest draw in boxing and he knew he needed that fight to become a crossover ppv star in his own right. He took 33%, and look what happened after that.
    I think this a pretty fair statement. Fighters have to pay their dues and that sometimes means taking less money when the other guy is clearly the money maker in the sport. I think the problem today with fighters is they are too self-entitled. They want everything their way. If I was GGG, I would just agree to 60/40 or 65/35 for Canelo and beat him then ask for more money in a rematch. I think at that point you have earn the right to ask for more money when you have a win over him and the mainstream knows your name more at that point after the first ppv.

Comment

Now that Canelo gave up his belt to GGG, quite right, Canelo does not need GGG as much as GGG needs Canelo.

60/40 would be a great split for Canelo/GGG, unfortunately, it may be too much risk for Canelo... until his fan base starts getting on him for not doing it.

They sure are marinating the fight like all stars though.

Comment

Canelo could pocket say 50m to get wrecked. Then he can do whatever he wants next until a rematch where he makes another 50.
        It'll do minimum 1m, maximum maybe 1.5m

Really, the only reason it isn't happening is because ODLH and Bhop are doing what Floyd did with Manny.

Comment

People are overrating Canelos PPV star power.
          Khan vs Canelo did 400k

Im sure Liam vs Canelo didnt do **** either..

With that being said, they both sell out arenas.

With that being said, Canelo is still the A Side.
          60/40 is fair

Comment

Why not 'Winner Takes it All'? 'Money in the Bank' match.

Comment

I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 65-35 or 70-30 across the board for Alvarez is fair. Canelo put 51k in the seats and GGG is selling out 20k seat venues across the country. Also, Golovkins sole PPV did 150k whereas Canelo against guys not from PR or Mayweather does roughly 350-400k units. So, comparing those sets of figures, it works out to roughly 2.5 to 1 or so in Canelo's favor. I believe this fight would clear 1M-1.2M PPV buys, and thats just pure speculation on my part.

I also think that if GGG beats Canelo then the numbers should reverse for a rematch.

Comment

60/40 or 70/30 in favour of Canelo.

Comment

Working...
                X