No announcement yet.

What Was Mike Tyson's Natural Weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsmith_tsu View Post
    I never knew Tyson never lifted. Didnt he admit to using steroids. I know he was on cocaine especially before the Douglas fight.

I hope Im not assassinating Mikes character. I like Tyson. Im proud that he has turned his life around
    I don't know if he did steroids, (although I would assume he did at some point.) but I've heard plenty of people claim that he was on a "check drop" during the 2nd Holyfield fight, and that caused him to go psycho.

And once again, let me reiterate: Mike Tyson CLEARLY lifted weights. Maybe not all that extensively, but you can bet sure as day that he lifted weights. I've seen videos of him. Same with Evander Holyfield. Where do you think these guys get there explosiveness from? Squats and lifts like the clean and jerk will certainly help.

Someone like Lennox Lewis though, I doubt lifted weights all that much.

Comment

Originally posted by NoConcoms View Post
      I don't know if he did steroids, (although I would assume he did at some point.) but I've heard plenty of people claim that he was on a "check drop" during the 2nd Holyfield fight, and that caused him to go psycho.

And once again, let me reiterate: Mike Tyson CLEARLY lifted weights. Maybe not all that extensively, but you can bet sure as day that he lifted weights. I've seen videos of him. Same with Evander Holyfield. Where do you think these guys get there explosiveness from? Squats and lifts like the clean and jerk will certainly help.

Someone like Lennox Lewis though, I doubt lifted weights all that much.
      Lifting weights does not necessarily help your punching power that much at all. Plyo work sure but heavy weight lifting type stuff is only ever done bty a boxer near the beginning of their preparation.

Evander Holyfield of course was a pioneer for using an extensive weightlifting routine. Please note that compared to the general division, Evander was NOT a particularly hard puncher!

Tyson lifted SOME weights, he did shrugs routinely and calhisthenics mainly. Occasionally lifted other weights sure. But he did not achieve his body through weightlifting like Evander did. His muscular build was mostly natural.

Mike is a natural HW.

Evander is a natural CW, build up to a HW.

Comment

I think Tyson was just a very muscular guy. I never heard that he bulked up with heavy weight lifting like Holyfield. I think his natural fighting weight was the 220 pounds he fought at. Look at him now as a middle aged vegan who doesn't train or lift weights. He is still a big muscular man weighing about 250 pounds. He is short but very thick with huge legs, arms and shoulders.

Comment

Mike Tyson never enters a boxing and his natural weight is....totally dependent upon how much he chooses to eat. he could be anywhere from 185 to 230. This isn't really an answerable question. Though. I'd think, no training, just chillin, going to work and maybe drinking occasionally he'd probably be around 225, with a soft(fat) mid section and big muscular arms.

But this would depend on lifestyle choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
            Some idiot above is trying to say Mike's natural weight was LESS than his competition weight.

Mike's most effective weight is difficult to assess. At rthe time he is generally credited with being prime he was 215. Or sometimes up to 220. 215-220 seems to be his optimum weight.

Mike NEVER weighed 200lbs in a professional boxing match ever. I dunno what some crack heads are smoking here!

And his "natural" weight would have been about 250lbs or something. Mike was a tank!

Sure, he did some muscle work, but he was no weight lifter, he did mainly calisthenics and stuff. His muscles were mainly a result of his natural build. Mike was simply a tank!

Natural weight 250? LOLOLOL 25% body fat doesn't equal natural weight.

Comment

Originally posted by swagman View Post
              Natural weight 250? LOLOLOL 25% body fat doesn't equal natural weight.
              Ok then, let's not exaggerate anything then. His natural size is STILL going to be something around 230 isn't it right?

I mean, at 215 he was so ripped and conditioned that THAT was also nothing near his usual weight too.

Comment

Look at him at this picture, he weight 210-215 lbs, how much do you think he weight when he not training?? look at his neck how much weight do you think in his neck alone??

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
                  Lifting weights does not necessarily help your punching power that much at all.
                  Wrong. Go watch Manny Pacquiao/JMM 4. You can clearly hear RJJ say on commentary "And this is where the weight lifting will help with Marquez's power."

You people need to get with the times. People used to say all the time in baseball that lifting weights was bad for you. Then all of the sudden, guys like Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, etc. came along. Don't kid yourself, lifting weights will DRAMATICALLY increase punching power. Again, just look at the 4th fight between JMM and Manny Pacquiao.

Problem is, carrying around too much muscle isn't good for endurance.

Comment

Mikes best weight was between 215/230lbs for his height and build.

The guy was barely 5'11 all that excess weight would have been hampering his in ring ability rather than improve any aspect of his game.

Comment

Dont forget he also had humongous tree trunk legs Mike did, where all that crushing power came from.

Comment

Working...
                      X