Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else believe that Rocky Marciano's record was not exactly "so special"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who to say any fight is fixed or not. what goes on behind close doors We the fans and Public will never no. EVER. Would you say anything on anyone if they took you from 1000-10,000 a fight to a million a fight. Who knows !!! Was that the case with Rocky?? We will never no. I'm never going to think it was. im going to choose to see it for what it was. Why look for the negative without reasons, but for just beliefs. Yes it was special....Who's done it thus far? Whys that? Why don't everyone do it. Why wasn't Rocky M Asked to take a dive if it were fixed? Wouldn't you make more money if you bet on the underdog to win? Much more. The man was in wars. To assume or believe without facts is a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
      Yeah, fighting the mummified remains of a few once great fighters, and feasting on a slew of nobodies during his down time.
      He beat everyone there was to beat at his time, is like anyone who dominates the heavyweight division now, they will be disregarded as an actual threat for fighting old guys and guys with awful records. It's the same situation.

Comment

Originally posted by PR Boxer View Post
        He beat everyone there was to beat at his time, is like anyone who dominates the heavyweight division now, they will be disregarded as an actual threat for fighting old guys and guys with awful records. It's the same situation.
        I get what you're saying, and I agree. He had a **** era. Not his fault at all.

I'm just saying, head to head, I'd pick damn near every good to great Heavyweight of the last 40 years to knock the piss out of him.

Bowe, Holyfield, Lewis, Frazier, Ali, Louis, Tyson, Liston, Foreman, Shavers, Norton, Holmes, Wlad, Vitali, the list goes on and on.

And in tough Heavyweight era (70's, 90's), I think he'd be lucky to get a hold on an alphabet soup title.

Comment

Yeah, he got up, and won.

Doesn't change the fact that a majority of the men he faced were born before they invented dirt, and even some of them managed to drop him and damn near finish him off.

Rocky had all he could handle with a Light Heavyweight Journeyman named Ted Lowry.

Glenn Johnson would probably knock his fucking block off.
          Dude he was a heavyweight. Its extremely rare for a heavyweight to go 40 plus fights and not get knocked down.

You're guy in you're avatar got knocked down by Segundo Mercado...it happens to the best.

He beat everyone there was at the time, went through wars and deserves his respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Owlzfan84 View Post
            Dude he was a heavyweight. Its extremely rare for a heavyweight to go 40 plus fights and not get knocked down.

You're guy in you're avatar got knocked down by Segundo Mercado...it happens to the best.

He beat everyone there was at the time, went through wars and deserves his respect.
            The dude in my sig also didn't get knocked down by a guy who used to be 40lbs lighter than him. Or nearly TKO'd completely by an unranked journeyman.

Comment

the cat would not have even been a hw today. he fought at 185ish from what i remember.

Comment

I get what you're saying, and I agree. He had a **** era. Not his fault at all.

I'm just saying, head to head, I'd pick damn near every good to great Heavyweight of the last 40 years to knock the piss out of him.

Bowe, Holyfield, Lewis, Frazier, Ali, Louis, Tyson, Liston, Foreman, Shavers, Norton, Holmes, Wlad, Vitali, the list goes on and on.

And in tough Heavyweight era (70's, 90's), I think he'd be lucky to get a hold on an alphabet soup title.
                No doubt about that, Marciano would turn them into wars but he would probably get beaten up in the fights and had all to lose into those fights, but lucky for him at the era he fought it was a **** era like everyone's stated.

Comment

Originally posted by Owlzfan84 View Post

Rocky would actually be considred a CW by today's standards.

BTW, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of Rocky that way. No disrespect to him, but his fanboys make him out to be some sort of invincible demigod.

Comment

Perhaps Rocky's greatest attribute was the mental side of it. He had an amazing heart, able to cope with any situation and turn it around, never discouraged. Floored, cut and beaten up by Walcott, with his eyes stinging, Rocky fought through round ten of their first clash like a true warrior and ended up winning the title. He was determined to kick your ass. Sometimes, one gets the impression he could never be beaten.

While perhaps not one of Rocky's strengths, his defence was certainly not 'bad', as some so-called historians would like to point out. No, Marciano's defence was not bad at all, and it often made for a very difficult fight. He'd come in inch-by-inch, leaning backwards and slightly to the right (away from right leads), gloves high and chin down. The whole point of this was to make himself a smaller target. Once inside, Rocky was a real terror. He would constantly be moving his head, up and down, rolling around, side to side, backwards and forwards, and he'd come in with hard punches from all kinds of inconceivable angles, possibly the most hazardous being the left uppercut which is somehow overlooked. Many men, including great craftsmen, commented on how hard Marciano was to nail with a clean shot. If accomplished masters of the game such as Charles, Walcott, Moore, Louis and LaStarza are saying this, I think we should take their word for it.

Rocky was a destroyer, he ruined people. None of his opponents, bar Moore, were ever the same again. He beat them up, rearranged their bone structure and knocked them out. He was perhaps the most devastating and destructive champion of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by MELLY-MEL... View Post
                      the cat would not have even been a hw today. he fought at 185ish from what i remember.
                      Sometimes he weighed in at or near 200lbs.

He was 205 against Don Cockell, 196 and a half against Walcott the first time out, and I think 198 against Walcott in the rematch, plus 215 against Louis in the title fight, and I think he even weighed in at 225 or something for a fight once.

Though the name of the opponet escapes me.

Comment

Working...
                      X