Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Rigondeaux Was in Talks For WBSS, But Weight Became an Issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
    My understanding was that Rigo turned down Loma at 126 because he thought he was too small to fight at that weight.
    No there was haggling back and forth but Rigondeaux and Loma ended up agreeing on the weight, which was 126. Arum then put in the media that Rigondeaux was asking for millions, all the while lowballing him with 400K.

Comment

The disastrous outcome of going up and back down in weight is well documented. Chris Byrd, Roy Jones, Ray Leonard, and others have shown that it is a seriously unhealthy risk that is not worth taking. Fighters age themselves when they do this. Hopefully Rigo will not drop below 122. There are many fights there and 126 for him but his clock is ticking.

Comment

Originally posted by The Akbar One View Post
        No there was haggling back and forth but Rigondeaux and Loma ended up agreeing on the weight, which was 126. Arum then put in the media that Rigondeaux was asking for millions, all the while lowballing him with 400K.
        No, kafkod is correct. There is a video of Rigo that was on this site where Rigo was asked about the size and he said he was too small. This was after he turned down the fight.
        Last edited by richardt; 05-11-2018, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
          My understanding was that Rigo turned down Loma at 126 because he thought he was too small to fight at that weight.
          100% correct. I saw a youtube video where they asked Rigo about Lom and he said "What weight is Lom at?". And the interviewer said "126" and then Rigo said "what weight am I - and there is your answer".
          Last edited by richardt; 05-11-2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
            No, kafkod is correct. There is a video of Rigo that was on this site where Rigo was asked about the size and he said he was too small. This was after he turned down the fight.
            There is also video of Klimas and Loma stating what I said.

Comment

There is also video of Klimas and Loma stating what I said.
              The words came right out of Rigo's mouth on video. Not debatable.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
                The words came right out of Rigo's mouth on video. Not debatable.
                The words came out of Loma's and Klimas' mouth as well, not debateable.

Comment

The words came out of Loma's and Klimas' mouth as well, not debateable.
                  Read and weep. It is a fact that team Rigo declined the fight in 2015:

Vasyl Lomachenko: Rigondeaux Does Not Want To Fight

By Gregroy Stangrit
                  August 30, 2015

27-year-old Ukrainian Vasyl Lomachenko, who holds the WBO world featherweight championship, says WBA/WBO junior featherweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux of Cuba, 34-years-old, has refused to fight him.

The two Olympic champions have been trading messages on the social networks, calling each other out to fight.

Lomachenko says everything was agreed upon, including a rehydration clause on the morning of the fight and then Rigondeaux refused to face him.

"When we started talking to them about a fight in more detail, they put forward different conditions. They demanded the [financial] amount that was required, and we agree with them about it. They made a demand that on the morning of the fight, my weight does not exceed 62.5 kilograms [135-pounds give or take]. I agreed. But now they told us that they are not ready to stage this fight, now they do not want to fight," Lomachenko said.

Comment

Working...
                  X