Collapse
No announcement yet.

When a Fighter You Don't Like Does Something You Do Like

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Oct 3, 1998 Genaro "Chicanito" Hernández lost his WBC and lineal super featherweight titles to Floyd Mayweather. Mayweather decisively won his first world title (the WBC super featherweight championship) with an eighth-round technical knockout of The Ring world #1-ranked super featherweight. Genaro Hernández corner man stopped the fight by throwing in the towel.

It was Hernández' first defeat in that weight class; he said after the fight, "He defeated me, he is quick, smart and I always knew he had the speed. I give him respect. He is a true champ".

"Chicanito" never fought again.

On June 7, 2011 former two-time junior lightweight champion Genaro Hernandez died at age 45 after a three-year battle with cancer. He was a beloved figure in boxing circles, known for his humility, friendly nature and everyman attitude. Hernandez was the rare exception in boxing in that you can't find anyone to say a bad word about him.

As a pro fighter, Hernandez made a good living, but he never raked in huge money. Never made a million-dollar purse. Not even close. When he retired in 1998, he had to continue working. He made ends meet doing television commentary, mostly for promoter Bob Arum's Top Rank cards. He also worked as a punch counter for CompuBox.

It was Arum who, with no fanfare, covered most of the medical costs associated with Hernandez's cancer treatment. That was a classy move and his assistance, I am sure, was much appreciated.

All though I never cared for Floyd Mayweather Jr. he quietly plaid for "Chicanito's" Funeral.

In my book that's "First Class"!

Comment

Never liked Judah but that spaghetti dancing whike complaining to the ref was glorious

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post

Like you I think Saunders is an utter asshat, but that ish was funny.
        Yup definitely
        But he is a jerkoff that’s for fughin sure

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
          Anytime Ruiz lost was a win for me.
          Lol I agree bro

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
            Lol I agree bro
            I wonder if he could be that one guy who didn't have any fans.......

I mean, even Yosef Mack had fans

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post

Like you I think Saunders is an utter asshat, but that ish was funny.

Not a big BJS fan, but yes. That was excellent!

Comment

Yusaf Mack?

Time for 'wraps to bump another ATG NSB thread...

Comment

Originally posted by TJ highway View Post
                  On Oct 3, 1998 Genaro "Chicanito" Hernández lost his WBC and lineal super featherweight titles to Floyd Mayweather. Mayweather decisively won his first world title (the WBC super featherweight championship) with an eighth-round technical knockout of The Ring world #1-ranked super featherweight. Genaro Hernández corner man stopped the fight by throwing in the towel.

It was Hernández' first defeat in that weight class; he said after the fight, "He defeated me, he is quick, smart and I always knew he had the speed. I give him respect. He is a true champ".

"Chicanito" never fought again.

On June 7, 2011 former two-time junior lightweight champion Genaro Hernandez died at age 45 after a three-year battle with cancer. He was a beloved figure in boxing circles, known for his humility, friendly nature and everyman attitude. Hernandez was the rare exception in boxing in that you can't find anyone to say a bad word about him.

As a pro fighter, Hernandez made a good living, but he never raked in huge money. Never made a million-dollar purse. Not even close. When he retired in 1998, he had to continue working. He made ends meet doing television commentary, mostly for promoter Bob Arum's Top Rank cards. He also worked as a punch counter for CompuBox.

It was Arum who, with no fanfare, covered most of the medical costs associated with Hernandez's cancer treatment. That was a classy move and his assistance, I am sure, was much appreciated.

All though I never cared for Floyd Mayweather Jr. he quietly plaid for "Chicanito's" Funeral.

In my book that's "First Class"!
                  I'd say that's extremely classy on Floyd's part and Bob's too, honestly. Great stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                    Yusaf Mack?

Time for 'wraps to bump another ATG NSB thread...
                    2014 style

Comment

I heard Yosef's fans suck, doe.

Comment

Working...
                      X