Anthony Joshua reveals sparring 'war' with Tyson Fury

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony Joshua reveals sparring 'war' with Tyson Fury

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news...TZnwJ7sCn9c19T

"This was early on when I was an amateur, so I didn't even know who Tyson Fury was," Joshua told Sky Sports.

"This was the time when he was fighting John McDermott, so he was in London at the time, come down from Manchester.

"I remember reading that Tyson Fury is going around different gyms sparring and if anyone can knock him out, they get to keep his Rolex. If you know me, I'm hungry. I was hungrier back then. Those assets and stuff were so far out of reach to me.

"I remember him popping in the gym and then coach says: 'All right Josh, you're sparring.' In the boxing gym, there is no word called 'no'.

"I just got my head guard on, gum shield in, and we just cracked on. Me and him just had a straight war. What I learned about Fury is, we've got the same heart. We're both fighting people and we go to war.

"I didn't manage to knock him out. We both hit each other with some big shots, powerful shots.

"Years ago he predicted 'watch out for the kid, he'll be heavyweight champion of the world one day' and he got his prediction right."

what level was fury when he said Josh would be champ one day? was he even british champ, European champ or certainly not world champ?

Comment

I seem to remember Fury saying Joshua gave him a beating

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
        what level was fury when he said Josh would be champ one day? was he even british champ, European champ or certainly not world champ?
        Depending which McDermott fight it was either just before Fury 'won' (I use the term loosely for this fight) the English belt, or just before he won the British.

If it was before the 1st Mcdermott fight then Fury was well out of shape and went on to look like crap in the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy T View Post
          Well i think he said at first, but then Fury's experience and ability allowed him to adjust. So from both accounts, it was probably both guys giving as good as they got.

It was a long time ago anyway and would probably have no reflection on what would happen today and are both different fighters from back then. Fury has shown he can box and be very difficult to beat and Joshua has shown some good things and also it remains to be seen what else he has, or doesn't have.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
            Depending which McDermott fight it was either just before Fury 'won' (I use the term loosely for this fight) the English belt, or just before he won the British.

If it was before the 1st Mcdermott fight then Fury was well out of shape and went on to look like crap in the fight
            Oh I see. Seems a little strange Fury talking about an unknown being heavyweight champ one day, unless Fury was specifically asked about Josh!

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
              Well i think he said at first, but then Fury's experience and ability allowed him to adjust. So from both accounts, it was probably both guys giving as good as they got.

It was a long time ago anyway and would probably have no reflection on what would happen today and are both different fighters from back then. Fury has shown he can box and be very difficult to beat and Joshua has shown some good things and also it remains to be seen what else he has, or doesn't have.
              All true plus Fury was in shitty shape for the McDermott fight anyway

Comment

Cool story bro. And one of the more reasonable sparring story's I've heard. Sounds like a official "draw" for those counting sparring wins & loses.

Originally posted by Daddy T View Post
                Fury in your head bro. Don't believe anything he says. Fury in my head too right now. Fury got me thinking he's gonna throw the Klitschko rematch. He's said that **** like twice now.

Comment

Nice, I love old sparring stories. For some reason I envisioned this story playing out like a scene from the movie Snatch.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X