Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Brook jump on GGG like Hagler did against Hearns?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bboy80 View Post
    If you watch Brook you will see he is a come forward counter puncher and the style shown in the video was Hagler just being Bullish more like a Hatton. That isnt Kells style, and suddenly changing your whole style for 1 fight is not what most fighters can actually do. And I'm not sure thats in Kells skill set either.

He has to stick to what hes best at win or lose, which is counters and slipping whilst usually coming forward. However he will have to do it off the back foot for this fight, I cant see him bullying the center of the ring whatsoever. Kells best chance is with his counter jab and hooks, if he can keep the timing and power up throughout the rnds and occasionally get a hard counter 1,2 off, he could possible keep GGG at bay for the first half the fight. Second half he most likely gets stopped. And if he cant keep him at bay with counters in the few rnds then its not going to end well fullstop lol.

The reason I say that as well is GGG throws looping shots, quite wide really. Whilst that is hard to defend against as you cant see them sometimes, it also leaves him open to counters, which is Kells bread and butter.

But if he cant hurt him, which ill be shocked if he can, all the counters in the world will make no odds.

Even with all that said, I'm still rooting for him..

War Brook
    Thanks. Great assessment. But I still think he should rush in and take a chance early. It would be unorthodox. Catch GGG off guard. It's like kicking an on-side kick at the beginning of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      Only similarity not true

Both relentless fighters

Both throw every punch in the book

Both have 2 handed power

Both really never go backwards

I can't think of another fighter more similar to GGG
      Tito had a good right hand (not great) but was more of a left hooker. He was also a straight puncher more or less - looping overhand punches were rare for him. It is true that Tito didn't like to go backwards (probably because he was mediocre at defending). But it isn't true for GGG - his defence is just fine. He was very tight behind the jab for the first couple of rounds against Lemieux, if you want examples.
      Last edited by mick1303; 09-06-2016, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mick1303 View Post
        Tito had a good right hand (not great) but was more of a left hooker. He was also a straight puncher more or less - looping overhand punches were rare for him. It is true that Tito didn't like to go backwards (probably because he was mediocre at defending). But it isn't true for GGG - his defence is just fine. He was very tight behind the jab for the first couple of rounds against Lemieux, if you want examples.
        I don't understand how people can think Ggg has this great defense.. Dude has fought nothing but 2nd or 3rd tier guys,, and anyone that throws, usually lands.

I love ggg, but nothing I have seen- screams great defender..... Lesser guys are just too scared and already in survival mode rd 1...

We literally have nothing to go by when it comes to ggg.. Not saying he is bad, but you really can't say he is good defender.. Just not enough evidence..

When willie Monroe is the best "slick" boxer you have fought
        And when Daniel geale or murray is the most accomplished fighter you have fought.
        You really can't make too many determinations, sample size way too small and limited

Comment

I don't understand how people can think Ggg has this great defense.. Dude has fought nothing but 2nd or 3rd tier guys,, and anyone that throws, usually lands.

I love ggg, but nothing I have seen- screams great defender..... Lesser guys are just too scared and already in survival mode rd 1...

We literally have nothing to go by when it comes to ggg.. Not saying he is bad, but you really can't say he is good defender.. Just not enough evidence..

And when Daniel geale or murray is the most accomplished fighter you have fought.
          You really can't make too many determinations, sample size way too small and limited
          To a certain degree you are correct of course - always there is issue of opponent - how much he allows or does not allow. But did you notice that opponents having relative success against GGG connect-wise, are already "broken down"? They are in retreat mode already, because they either tested the canvas or tested the power and do not want to mix up. And if you are going backwards, you're not gonna punch hard. Against dangerous opponent who are not broken down yet GGG is much more defensively responsible.

Let's just hope that down the stretch he will fight somebody dangerous and we will find out.

Comment

Brook goes toe to toe to prove a point early, does some crazy Mayorga style taunting and then is knocked out in comical fashion. Everyone gets home in time for supper.

Comment

The connect percentage landing on Golovkin isn't particularly high, even though none of his opponents have been 1st tier quality that is still evidence for Golovkin's good defensive skills. For an aggressive come forward fighter Golovkin's defence is good, he certainly gets sloppy at times but how many aggressive come forward fighters have you ever seen with a better defence than his? I don't think there have been too many. Even guys like Chavez and Duran who are always lauded for their defensive skills coming forward took their fair share of clean punches.

Comment

Working...
              X