The myth of Thurman's power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    Agreed.

That's not to say Thurman can't punch but this thread is in response to all those talking about Thurman as a power puncher. True power punchers stop guys at the highest level, GGG, Kovalev, Donaire and so on.

Thurman couldn't even stun porter following the 3rd round. That's a bad sign for a supposed power puncher. I still remember the 9th when he landed a helacious upper cut and the showtime team creamed themselves and kept talking about...even though Porter had already turned him and landed 3-4 punches stopping Thurman against the ropes.

Broner hurt Porter worse, as did Brook. Porter has a terrific chin but he isn't granite and Thurman didn't do him much. In fact, looking at the 2 guys after the fight, Thurman looked much worse.

Like I said, it should be Thurman "some time".
    I agree with you post and thread, he doesn't have that one time KO power. He can always change his moniker to some time. Mayweather did it with PBF to Money.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
      I agree with you post and thread, he doesn't have that one time KO power. He can always change his moniker to some time. Mayweather did it with PBF to Money.
      LOL following the Mayweather route may be the worse decision for Thurman

I reckon Garcia beats Thurman.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        He has decent power but he certainly isn't one of the best punchers in the sport as some claim.

Good, spiteful puncher but not a one punch K.O artist or anything.

I personally think he feels he is a better puncher than he perhaps is as well.
        The way he was swinging those wild shots and Porter was just walking through them reminded me of Bradley swinging for the fences against Pacquiao and Pac just shrugging them off.

People are forgetting there are levels in boxing. Thurman may have seemed like a genuine puncher when he was fighting prospects, has beens and never beens but at this level, in 3 fights, we have seen he can't punch hard enough to be considered a puncher.

Sadly he isn't skilled enough to be a world class counter puncher either. He may be there for the taking. If the Porter rematch doesn't happen, Garcia or Brook will take him.

Comment

Can we all put this to bed now? I told you all, if Thurman can't stop a middle aged, european level fighter ,he hasn't got world beating power. Porter literally walked through Thurman's punches after round 2 or 3 when he did get somewhat stunned. That was it.

That midget Broner hurt Porter worse.

Thurman ain't got world level power.
          Look at the guys he didnt stop

Guerrero and Porter are two of the mentally strong fighters in the game and they have great chins

Bundu isnt on that level or even Guerreros but he is tough

Keith has power, but styles make fights and he needs a little room for his power shots.

He isnt felix trinidad type puncher but he isnt featherfisted

147 is a deep division so its expected his ko ratio would drop fighting top 15 guys at one of the best weights in boxing.

Comment

So, for he final humiliation Dr Rumack and boliodogs, which world class fighter has Thurman KOd?

Comment

Let's just say he rocked Porter more than a couple of times and that was the best I have seen Porter fight, so Thurman assuming that he was 100% fit is good to beat top WWs out there.. In a few yrs I recon Spence will develop into a top champ but for now DSG, Thurman are easily #1 and #2 and not in that order .
              Brook and Bradley next place..

Comment

So, for he final humiliation Dr Rumack and boliodogs, which world class fighter has Thurman KOd?
                Chaves is world class and he got dropped and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by KayDub View Post
                  Chaves is world class and he got dropped and stopped.
                  SMH at Chaves being world class LOL

Chaves is a c level slugger who has lost every time he stepped up and was lucky enough to get a draw (horrendous judging) against Bradley and most to b level slugger Rios.

I'm in trouble if I'm on a forum where people think Diego is world class.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
                    Let's just say he rocked Porter more than a couple of times and that was the best I have seen Porter fight, so Thurman assuming that he was 100% fit is good to beat top WWs out there.. In a few yrs I recon Spence will develop into a top champ but for now DSG, Thurman are easily #1 and #2 and not in that order .
                    Brook and Bradley next place..
                    Bradley
                    Brook
                    Thurman
                    Garcia

Makes a lot more sense.

Comment

Bradley
                      Brook
                      Thurman
                      Garcia

Makes a lot more sense.
                      Though Bradley has a strong case of being #1 WW I kind of feel he is declining with each fight, Provodnikov, Vargas fights were pretty close. I think Brook has crapped after his Porter fight. I'll put Thurman above him because he has done better than Brook in WW..

Comment

Working...
                      X