No announcement yet.

are the belts really that important?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are the belts really that important?

i see so many **** fights cause someone has been installed as a mandatory, or its a title eliminator or whatever.
    In terms of reputations, would a fighter actually be better off getting rid of their belt and just fighting big names? So almost being a 'freelance' fighter so to speak, not affiliating themselves to any organisation. So they dont worry about mandatory fights, eliminators, but they just get themselves to world level and pick and choose who they fight?
    does it really mean much to have all your career moves dictated to win/defend a belt which doesnt really mean ****?
    What do people think? Does anyone place much importance in the 4 belts? To me winning the belt plays second fiddle to the opponent that you beat, dont know whether others feel the same...

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
    i see so many **** fights cause someone has been installed as a mandatory, or its a title eliminator or whatever.
    In terms of reputations, would a fighter actually be better off getting rid of their belt and just fighting big names? So almost being a 'freelance' fighter so to speak, not affiliating themselves to any organisation. So they dont worry about mandatory fights, eliminators, but they just get themselves to world level and pick and choose who they fight?
    does it really mean much to have all your career moves dictated to win/defend a belt which doesnt really mean ****?
    What do people think? Does anyone place much importance in the 4 belts? To me winning the belt plays second fiddle to the opponent that you beat, dont know whether others feel the same...
    Not for me
    It's just a trinket really
    I still see fury as the champ with or without a belt
    They literally make up belts to give to fighters
    Look at the one they made for Manny
    The ibf goes to the highest bidder it seems
    Same with wbo

Comment

You are a Golovkin fan and yet you say that it is important to beat big names? Lol.

Comment

Belts are only as important as the guy holding it makes it, if the guy is a stud the belt means something.

If it is a belt picked up out of a trash can by a hobo lucky to have it then it is meaningless. If that hobo turns out of be a real fighter that belt can gain a lot of extra meaning over time, but it take wins for that to occur.

Man make the titles, titles don't make the man~

Comment

after months of talking about all the belts, suddenly a change of heart lmfaooo

Comment

The belts are whatever. What's important is how you got them.

But the titles sound nice on a billboard or announcement etc and they drive casual fan interest. Also, for a young boxer a belt can be incredibly validating.

Comment

Belts are also leverage whilst negotiating terms with opponents.. If you won them by beating a legit opponent/champ/unification, yes.. But having said that there are a lot of phony champs out there & guys holding the belt hostage for highest bidder..

Comment

I've never cared much about belts. They mean soooooo little in this sport that the first thing you learn as a modern boxing fan is that everyone you've heard of has been a champion at some point. It's almost meaningless.
                Resume and what you bring to the ring is everything (to me).
                Last edited by Redd Foxx; 12-22-2016, 04:29 PM.

Comment

For most fighters yes belts hold a great value. It is a ticket to a bigger payday for the next fight, win or lose.

Once you are up there it doesnt mean as much but those fighters only come in a few.

Comment

Originally posted by youbeight View Post
                    after months of talking about all the belts, suddenly a change of heart lmfaooo
                    I know, right?

"He wants all the belts"
                    "Unification is the goal"

Not so important after all, huh?

Comment

Working...
                    X