No announcement yet.

Does size REALLY matter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does size REALLY matter?

Ok lately the trend around here has been "such and such is too small for such and such." So my question is, does size really matter? How much does it matter and when does it come into play? I will use Gamboa-Broner as an example. People are going around saying Gamboa is too small for Broner. But how come when it comes to Pacquiao or Bradley they don't talk about size? Pacquiao has nothing but an inch on Gamboa and Bradley is about the same height as Gamboa. Pacquiao has steam rolled thru much bigger guys with ease which include ODLH, Cotto, Mosley, Clottey and Margarito. Bradley has fought Alexander, Abregu and Peterson. All these guys were also bigger than him. So how come when it comes to Gamboa he's "too small"? Sure Broner has the bigger frame but they BOTH walk around the same weight and TECHNICALLY Broner is only 1 weight class higher than Gamboa. Gamboa has the shorter reach out of Broner, Pacquiao and Bradley but wouldn't his speed and ability to get in and out make up for it since Broner is flat footed?

We can always talk about Mike Tyson as well and what he was able to do...

PS This is not a Gamboa beats Broner or vice versa thread. Just wanna get some answers to my questions and hear people's opinions.

Gamboa would spark out Floyd bro

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
      Gamboa would spark out Floyd bro
      Booo! That's not what Im looking for . Mayweather would dominate Gamboa IMO. Too much experience and too accurate. Broner on the other hand is a whole different story. But let's not derail this!

Comment

I agree with you, Gamboa does posses the tools to derail Broner despite the size difference. A lot of people just exaggerate when it comes to size. For instance Guerrero was a featherweight and who would have thought he would be bullying around Berto like a rag doll.

Comment

guns dont kill people. people kill people.

size dont win fights. fighters win fights.

size is only an issue if both fighters are so evenly match but one fighter is just so much bigger.

pac proved that. tyson proved that. henry armstrong proved that by holding 126, 135, 147 & 160 at the same time but was robbed.

what kind of roids was amrstrong using?

Comment

weight classes exist for a reason dumbass

Comment

Are you asking if Gamboa can beat Broner? If one weight class matters? Or what?
              I mean of course size matters that's why weight classes exist. But it don't really matter imo when it's only 1-2 weight classes apart. Especially 1.

A lot of these weight classes are pointless.

Say no weight limits. I will still pick a Prime Hagler fighting at 160 over every single 168 Fighter rehydrating to 175 today.

But to think that Prime Hagler can beat David Haye is just fantasy.

I will pick Prime Sugar Ray Robinson to maybe beat a Chad Dawson. But Prime Lennox Lewis will kill Ray Robinson. Not beat, but kill. Dead Ray.Dead.

Tyson and Tua are natural heavyweights, so that comparison don't mean much. In other words, if you see 5'10 Tyson on the streets, you will think to yourself 'wow that's a big guy'. If you see 5'9 Danny Garcia, you will think to yourself 'that's a skinny-average guy'

Comment

Originally posted by DTMB View Post

size is only an issue if both fighters are so evenly match but one fighter is just so much bigger.

pac proved that. tyson proved that. henry armstrong proved that by holding 126, 135, 147 & 160 at the same time but was robbed.

The fact that Tyson was a 'tiny guy beating up giants' is a made up myth. Tyson was a true heavyweight. His strength was on par with many super heavys and he had those thick legs calfs neck. He wasn't a tiny guy beating up giants. He was just a short guy.

Comment

Originally posted by DTMB View Post

This is sort of my way of thinking.
                  Originally posted by MVOLT View Post
                  weight classes exist for a reason dumbass
                  Another gem dropped by this marvelous poster.

Comment

One weight class do not matter though. That's just pure bullshyt.
                    The truth of the matter is that most SMW'S can fight at LHW.

Most 154LBERS can fight at 160. Most 147 guys can fight at 154.

One weight class does not matter at all. The ONLY significant jump is from LHW to CW.

Comment

Working...
                    X