No announcement yet.

Questions about the evolution of the PPV price

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the evolution of the PPV price

I was wondering if anyone here has been a fan long enough to let me know what fights raised the price. According to wikipedia the "Thrilla in Manilla" was the first PPV for 10$. I was wondering if anyone can tell me fights they remember ordering and how much they cost. The first fight I ever ordered was Pac/JMM 2 and I wanna say it was 49.99$. I know Ortiz/Mayweather was the first to be 59.99$ for the SD and 10$ more for HD. If anyone can help that would be great.

On a side note if anyone can tell me who raised the prices first between boxing, UFC, and WWE that would be AMAZING. I ask because I'm a long time WWE fan and during my childhood the PPVs were 29.99$, and now they're like 49.99$, which is ludacris for a monthly fake sport. I wanna say a few years ago the WWE PPVs were only 39.99$, but they raised the price because it was lower than UFC and they didn't want to seem lower than them.

First fight I've ever watched on PPV was Tyson vs. Bruno.

I believe it was $39.99. Of course I was too young at the time, so my dad ordered it.

Comment

$10 in 1974 adjusted for inflation is around $47 now, so it's not that different.

Comment

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
        First fight I've ever watched on PPV was Tyson vs. Bruno.

I believe it was $39.99. Of course I was too young at the time, so my dad ordered it.
        Wow really? I wouldn't have guessed PPVs would be that much back then. Thanks for the imput.

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
          $10 in 1974 adjusted for inflation is around $47 now, so it's not that different.
          Just found a inflation calculator and you're right. Sorry I didn't even think to check.

Comment

Originally posted by pacmanis1 View Post
            Wow really? I wouldn't have guessed PPVs would be that much back then. Thanks for the imput.
            Just a rough guess. I remember begging my dad to order it, then he surprised me with it. I'm sure it was pretty pricey, even back then.

Comment

Working...
            X