Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP me pick out a laptop! Any tech savvy people on here?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Giggles View Post
    I need a new laptop my old one is done, sooooo slow.

I bought it five years ago, this is my old one:

Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 15.6-inch Laptop - Dark Chocolate (Intel Core i5 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, Bluetooth, Webcam, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 8)

I know little about computers, light reading has told me that to get SSD instead of HDD as makes computer faster and also get at least 8GB RAM.

I only use my laptop for streaming boxing, watching netflix, watching videos, watching ****. Thats it.

These are the ones that I have found that im looking at:

DELL Inspiron 15 3000 15.6" AMD Ryzen 5 Laptop - 256 GB SSD, 8GB RAM, RADEON VEGA graphics Silver
    https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...90038-pdt.html

This is one that i looked at, is this an upgrade to my current one?

one thing i noticed is that not many laptops come with dvd drives anymore.
    If you're just streaming and doing basic stuff you really won't need to go that hardcore. Also, SSD seriously? Just no, It is a great thing, but in your instance I would say save your money and go for a HDD unless you intend on using your laptop for work or gaming.

Recommended specs for you
    8GB RAM
    i3 duo core Intel CPU or i5 (Only If you can afford it)

Here is my recommendation for you -
    https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/...77&ignorebbr=1

It does have a SSD, but for the price of it compared to what you were gonna go for why not go for something that has far more reliable components? Ryzen are good for budget, Intel provide better longevity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty_Windir View Post

I bought this one many years ago, still going strong.

But it was at $349.99 when I bought it
      Originally posted by Red Skull View Post
      If you're just streaming and doing basic stuff you really won't need to go that hardcore. Also, SSD seriously? Just no, It is a great thing, but in your instance I would say save your money and go for a HDD unless you intend on using your laptop for work or gaming.

Recommended specs for you
      8GB RAM
      i3 duo core Intel CPU or i5 (Only If you can afford it)

Here is my recommendation for you -
      https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/...77&ignorebbr=1

It does have a SSD, but for the price of it compared to what you were gonna go for why not go for something that has far more reliable components? Ryzen are good for budget, Intel provide better longevity.
      Always get an SSD, the performance boost over a HDD is insane. Plus they're cheap nowadays.

Comment

I bought an msi...my bro is a comp sci guy and he said it's the best

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
          That's a good idea for a second knock around computer. I took a look and prices look great. Nothing top of the line, but that is not their forte.
          Heres a little secret lol. If you get a "dud" they will get you something even better. Just stick to a particular model. I have gotten about 3 machines from them ( I looove the toughbooks but will not pay a thousand bucks for one). One of them just wasn't cutting it, they sent me something really nice condition. I pay aboiut 2-300 bucks per a toughbook and they can be dropped, the dog steps on em... great machines...A little slow for some stuff I suppose.

Comment

SSD, 8GB RAM, and an i5 chip sounds about right, if you can fit it within budget. With Windows 10 if that's your preferred OS. Also, if you're in the UK, PC World is known for charging high prices for systems built with shoddy components. Personally I would suggest a website like Novatech. They will custom build you a PC, and although it ain't cheap, you know you are getting quality parts. They also do finance. I bought a laptop through them 4 years ago and paid it off over 12 months and there was hardly any interest. Not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by W1LL View Post
              SSD, 8GB RAM, and an i5 chip sounds about right, if you can fit it within budget. With Windows 10 if that's your preferred OS. Also, if you're in the UK, PC World is known for charging high prices for systems built with shoddy components. Personally I would suggest a website like Novatech. They will custom build you a PC, and although it ain't cheap, you know you are getting quality parts. They also do finance. I bought a laptop through them 4 years ago and paid it off over 12 months and there was hardly any interest. Not too bad.
              Will I am not very savy. I basically figured out what i like and when it worked out stuck with it... But I noticed that RAM has become more and more important...I mean one can buy a flashdrive with practically a terabyte, or a card with the same as far as harddrive space is concerned.

Is it worth investing in more RAM? Something like 12 or even 16 megs?

Comment

Originally posted by denium View Post
                Always get an SSD, the performance boost over a HDD is insane. Plus they're cheap nowadays.
                Could one of you tech savy individuals explain the difference? Im curious.

Comment

I have an Alienware r7 laptop. It’s amazing

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    Will I am not very savy. I basically figured out what i like and when it worked out stuck with it... But I noticed that RAM has become more and more important...I mean one can buy a flashdrive with practically a terabyte, or a card with the same as far as harddrive space is concerned.

Is it worth investing in more RAM? Something like 12 or even 16 megs?
                    RAM is the memory your computer uses when switched on but it doesn't store stuff permanently. It holds data that can be accessed by your processor. Whereas flashdrives and SSDs/HDDs permanently store your files and data.

Depending on what you actually do on your computers, I would say you don't need any more than 8GB of RAM. I've had several systems over the years, used many RAM intensive programs and video games, and I've never had more than 8GB RAM and never had an issue.

I think 12+ GB is best for super computers or people who do things like graphic design. If you're just browsing the net, posting on here, watching YouTube, streaming some stuff and listening to music? Yea 8GB will be more than enough!

Comment

HP Spectre x360

SSD is a must btw.. do not listen to those who say otherwise. Who wants long loading times anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X