Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to box someone a lot faster than you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to box someone a lot faster than you?

I've gone to a new gym and begain sparring in my first session but the guy I spar is a hell of a lot faster than me and every time I tryed to set my body to make a shot I was having 4-5 punches on my face.

On a side note I also didn't have any headguard,gumsheild or belt while he did. Should I complain about that?

Originally posted by _Ricky_ View Post
    I've gone to a new gym and begain sparring in my first session but the guy I spar is a hell of a lot faster than me and every time I tryed to set my body to make a shot I was having 4-5 punches on my face.

On a side note I also didn't have any headguard,gumsheild or belt while he did. Should I complain about that?
    you have to be ******ed to spar without a mouthguard thats as stupid as Roshambo. Complaining gets you nowhere that was your own fault. The best thing to offset speed is timing. If this was your first spar you were probobly thinking way to much about when to punch and where. If the person your up against is way faster than you keep your guard up and counter

Comment

im guessing you walked in there like you were the ****, otherwise i dont know why a trainer would put in a complete novice with no protection with a much better fighter, anyways stick to countering and get yourself a mouthguard and wear headgear (which they should have at your gym)

Comment

Kayo called it right on the money; that's your own fault for getting in there and being unsafe. I hope you didn't get any hideious oral lacerations, those are a ***** to recover from and almost never fully heal.

As far as beating someone way faster see tape of Vernon Forrest vs Shane Mosely. Jab towards the chin and lead shoulder. Nothing is especially effective vs a fighter light years faster than you but trying to parry more than block is very useful for disrupting a quicker guys hands.

You may have to take a few shots to get the timing down but once you knock even one of his punches down you've got a punch-me-clown standing in front of you. Parrying a guys hands down / out takes some getting used to but when you do it, especially if its the lead hand you're going to have all day long and your opponents speed will become hesitation.

Comment

first of all why the hell were u sparring without a mouthguard???? sometimes sparring without headgear is ok, although you shoud to get used to it for amateur comps, but sparring without a mouthguard is dumb no offence, anyways with a fast guy work on keeping your hands high and having a neat, tight guard, and dont wait for him to hit you , otherwise you'll get completely schooled, everytime he comes in punching range throw 2 or 3 quality punches, stay in the middle of the ring, make him work around you and fend him off with a well timed, stiff jab, if you see an oppurtunity, quickly close in and push him onto the backfoot with a few powershots, but dont follow it up all the time, as he can simply dart of the way and gain the position in the middle of the ring- ive sed 2 much lol good luck

Comment

Originally posted by _Ricky_ View Post

What is the use of complaining? If the head trainer was reckless enough to allow such an obscene spectacle to happen he is unlikely to take your complaints seriously. What you need to do is go to another gym where they take training more seriously. Boxing is a dangerous sport, and you could have been seriously injured.

Comment

mix up the attack.stock him and cut off the ring.be calm!dont let his speed intimidate you.DOUBLE JAB.

Comment

Originally posted by potatoes View Post
                What is the use of complaining? If the head trainer was reckless enough to allow such an obscene spectacle to happen he is unlikely to take your complaints seriously. What you need to do is go to another gym where they take training more seriously. Boxing is a dangerous sport, and you could have been seriously injured.
                Exactly, my trainer would never let someone spar without a mouthguard and he advises headgear

Comment

in my gym you cant even spar if you dont have a moutguard. my coach will tell the story of how someone was sparring without a mouthguard, got punched, and teeth went right through his gums. i dont thin you want that.

Comment

Lol, well it is Wales

Thanks for the tips anyway I'm definatly taking a mouthpiece next time I go but I'll miss the headguard, for now.

Comment

Working...
                    X