No announcement yet.

I got my final driving test this tuesday

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
    30 mins is pretty long, considering the US one is 10 mins max. Driving tests should be very hard because most people clearly dont know how to drive. 75% shouldnt have a license at all
    I know, and yeah my dad let me drive around a bit as well before i actually went to driving school but i'll still be nervous

Comment

Just take your time and don't put pressure on yourself.

Perception is the most important thing. Know what's ahead and behind of you and you'll be fine.

Remember, if you rush you're more liable to make mistakes. Gently ease in and out of every corner. That's not to say go at a snails pace, but always be smooth. If you drive too fast, a mistake happens fast too.

Imagine yourself as a chauffeur driving the queen to a destination. You'd want to be as calm and smooth as possible. Easy on the clutch, accelerator, and brake.

When looking in your mirrors, make deliberate head movements so your instructor sees.

And most importantly, don't bribe your instructor in change - remember your notes

Comment

30 mins is pretty long, considering the US one is 10 mins max. Driving tests should be very hard because most people clearly dont know how to drive. 75% shouldnt have a license at all
        How is the US driving test structured? Practical driving for ONLY 10 minutes is ridiculous! Wtf. The UK driving test is structured like this:

5 minutes: You have to read a number plate of a car which is parked about two cars away. You are then Asked TWO questions about the car, this could be regarding how to use know what is adjusted properly such as the neck rest, how to check tyre pressure, how to fill up the water levels etc. For each mistake you get a MINOR (allowed 15 minors in the test and NO majors).

35 minutes: Practical Driving. It includes normal driving where the examiner gives you directions and includes parking on the side of the road (stopping and moving off) and the independent driving bit where they show you two diagrams where you follow the directions. After that you drive for a little while and then you have to do a maneuver (parallel/3 point turn/bay park/corner reverse/emergency stop). You then return to the driving test centre.

Pretty tense experience because of how long you spend learning and the fear of failing. The feeling of passing is GREAT, better than passing any academic exam for me personally. If I revise hard enough for an exam I feel as though I can pass it but for this the random factor can really screw you and passing despite that feels pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
          How is the US driving test structured? Practical driving for ONLY 10 minutes is ridiculous! Wtf. The UK driving test is structured like this:

5 minutes: You have to read a number plate of a car which is parked about two cars away. You are then Asked TWO questions about the car, this could be regarding how to use know what is adjusted properly such as the neck rest, how to check tyre pressure, how to fill up the water levels etc. For each mistake you get a MINOR (allowed 15 minors in the test and NO majors).

35 minutes: Practical Driving. It includes normal driving where the examiner gives you directions and includes parking on the side of the road (stopping and moving off) and the independent driving bit where they show you two diagrams where you follow the directions. After that you drive for a little while and then you have to do a maneuver (parallel/3 point turn/bay park/corner reverse/emergency stop). You then return to the driving test centre.

Pretty tense experience because of how long you spend learning and the fear of failing. The feeling of passing is GREAT, better than passing any academic exam for me personally. If I revise hard enough for an exam I feel as though I can pass it but for this the random factor can really screw you and passing despite that feels pretty good.
          Im not sure about the rest of the US because every state is different but it goes like this:

Get into the car, check all you mirrors, seat belt etc, getting the car ready. Then the tester tells you to pull out and as you drive he'll direct you to several lights, stop signs and turns. Then you do a 3 point turn, and then park with no car behind you. Then you drive back to the start. There are rarely people around including other cars and you never even enter the highway. Its complete bull**** that leaves you unprepared to actually drive in the real world

Comment

Im not sure about the rest of the US because every state is different but it goes like this:

Get into the car, check all you mirrors, seat belt etc, getting the car ready. Then the tester tells you to pull out and as you drive he'll direct you to several lights, stop signs and turns. Then you do a 3 point turn, and then park with no car behind you. Then you drive back to the start. There are rarely people around including other cars and you never even enter the highway. Its complete bull**** that leaves you unprepared to actually drive in the real world
            Most states don't even have an annual safety and emission test for vehicles. That combined with lacklustre testing makes U.S roads extremely hazardous.

UK roads are bad enough, but I don't encounter too many life threatening situations as our testing is quite difficult to pass. Though, a lot of people revert back to their bad habits once they've past the test which is annoying.

I really can't stand when people don't indicate, or worse, when they indicate far before the exit they want to take.

That, and stop signs. Stop means stop - stationary. It doesn't mean slow down and creep out, it means stop and look, then go.

Another pet hate is when people approach road junctions too fast and have to brake hard to stop. You think they are going to pull out right in front of you.

Comment

Exaggerate checking your mirrors, when switching lanes look over your shoulder.

And the most important thing, DON'T FUCK UP!!!!!

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X