Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOW, Canelo-Williams is a done deal!! Sept 15 MGM on PPV!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW, Canelo-Williams is a done deal!! Sept 15 MGM on PPV!

Michael, Doug or Lem ‏@ringmagazine

Lem: Oscar De La Hoya: Alvarez-Williams is on, done deal, MGM Grand, Sept. 15. #boxing

I never thought this would go through, i think its a step too far for canelo right now and williams although past his prime is not a shot fighter, Saying that i will have him in my p4p list if he somehow managed to get the W.

edit, not sure if ppv or on hbo or showtime

WBC junior middleweight beltholder Saul "Canelo" Alvarez will defend his belt against southpaw former two-time welterweight titleholder Paul Williams on Sept. 15 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on a network to be determined, Golden Boy Promotions President, Oscar De La Hoya, informed ******.com.

De La Hoya said that Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer will begin negotiations with HBO and Showtime for a spot on either of the cabel giants for the clash between Alvarez (40-0-1, 29 knockouts) and Williams (41-2, 27 KOs).

"I'm doing Canelo versus Paul Williams, and that's confirmed for Sept. 15. I'm on a mission to put on a spectacular event from top to bottom, and it's all done, baby. Sept. 15, and it's a go. I don't say that it's a done deal until it's a signed deal," said De La Hoya.

"So it will be live from the MGM in Las Vegas. It has no network yet. That's going to be up to my man, Richard Schaefer. So I'm going to have my man, Richard Schaefer, now deal with HBO and Showtime to see what he can come up with."

Alvarez, who is only 21, is coming off a unanimous decision over former titleholder Sugar Shane Mosley on May 5, and shares a victory over former welterweight beltholder Kermit Cintron with Williams.

"Canelo wants to keep fighting the best," said De La Hoya. "So this is David and Goliath, and, you know, my man, it's on."

Williams has split bouts with RING middleweight champ Sergio Martinez and former beltholder Carlos Quintana, and won a disputed majority decision over Erislandy Lara last year.

"Here you have Paul Williams, who is a very dangerous fighter who keeps coming, so it's going to be a dangerous fight," said De La Hoya.

"But I have all of the confidence in the world in Canelo that he will have another spectacular night against a very dangerous fighter in Paul Williams."
    Last edited by vcvc; 05-22-2012, 05:26 PM.

Can't take baby steps forever. This will be a good challenge for Canelo.

Comment

Damn good challenge for Canelo. I think they are betting on Punisher's chin not holding up.

Comment

Really good fight. Williams is past his prime-still good. Still has fast hands and a great work rate.

I am picking Williams to beat Canelo.

If Canelo wins this fight, it'll be a really good first step in making people believers.

Comment

Canelo will crack that glass. Should be a good tv fight until Williams gets caught tho'.

Comment

I give Canelo all the credit in the world for taking this fight. I believe Williams will be a tougher opponent than Kirkland would have been. If he wins, he should follow up on this with a December fight against Quintana, then maybe Cotto or Ortiz in May 2013 and Mayweather in the Fall.

As for my prediction of this fight, if Canelo works on his timing and uses that effectively, he'll win by decision. But he can't get too impatient and allow Williams to outwork him.

Comment

Really looking forward to this.
              I got Canelo inside the distance

Comment

ppv? whack

this would be a perfect HBO fight

Comment

I got Williams in a shocker(not sure why people would be shocked tho)

Comment

Very good fight.

Great test for Canelo.

Cant wait to see it.

Comment

Working...
                    X