Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather concerned that bradley could make pac look bad & kill luster of mega-fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather concerned that bradley could make pac look bad & kill luster of mega-fight

MAYWEATHER CONCERNED THAT BRADLEY COULD MAKE PACQUIAO LOOK BAD AND KILL LUSTER OF MEGA-FIGHT
    by Felix Strunk
    http://boxing.fighthype.com/2012/02/...of-mega-fight/

In a recent interview, trainer Jeff Mayweather expressed concern about the possibility of Manny Pacquiao facing off against Timothy Bradley in his next bout. Although ultimately he thinks Pacquiao would win the fight, he thinks Bradley could make him look bad in the process, which in turn might affect the desire of fans to watch a showdown between Pacquiao and his nephew, Floyd Mayweather. It’s a fact that even Pacquiao’s adviser, Michael Koncz, has mentioned, noting that he expects Manny to suffer a cut at some point due to Bradley’s tendency to lead with his head.

“I think that the fight will still happen. The only thing is, it’s like I said, the fight may still happen, but I don’t think it will have the luster that it once had because at one time, Pacquiao had such a great run that people really gave him a chance of beating Floyd,” Mayweather explained. “But if he has another bad performance, which he possibly could against Tim Bradley because Tim Bradley is a good, solid fighter; at the same time, I think Pacquiao is going to beat him, but I don’t think he’s going to look good in beating him, and another bad performance only damages the possibility of the fight still having that luster and still having the fans enthusiastic to see it and wanting to run to the fight or buy the pay-per-view and pay their money to see the fight.”

Although Mayweather is of the opinion that a fight between his nephew and Pacquiao will eventually happen, he agrees with HBO Sports President Ken Hershman that the bout has an expiration date, and the longer both fighters go without facing each other, the less relevant the fight becomes. With Mayweather opting to fight Miguel Cotto in May and Pacquiao likely to face Bradley in June, that expiration date may come sooner than expected, especially if Mayweather also has a less than spectacular performance against an opponent that Pacquiao has already defeated. “Don’t get me wrong, a lot of that is going to be based also on Floyd’s performance against Cotto. There is still a chance. They both will have something at stake, but I feel that Pacquiao has more to prove than Floyd,” Mayweather continued. “Floyd hasn’t had any bad performances other than a long, long time ago against Castillo, and that’s it. That’s one in his whole career and Pacquiao has had two abysmal performances back to back.”
Working...
X